Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-03T14:34:29+00:00

    I just purchased my Surface Laptop 3.

    When I watch Netflix and try to lower the brightness to the lowest level, the screen just shuts off. Then using the key to turn brightness up it does not work. The screen just stays black. You can still hear Netflix, just can't see it. The only way to turn the screen back on is to hit the power button and unlock the device. This nly seems to happen if Netflix is in full screen mode. If I keep it I. The smaller window, I can set the brightness as low as possible and it stays on. 

    Has anyone else had this issue or do I have a lemon?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-15T21:23:13+00:00

    Hi Nikita Tarasov,

    In regards to your inquiry about laptop brightness, I do apologize for letting you do those troubleshooting steps. It is actually normal that the brightness decreases when you're in a dark environment and it increases when there's so much light so you can still see what's on the screen. This is what normally happens to my device as well. I really do apologize that misunderstood your post.

    Kind Regards,

    Crest_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T11:08:30+00:00

    AMD Radeon software is unfortunately not installed. I'll try to install it in manual. but I think this problem needs to be solved on the side of Microsoft AMD and Intel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments