Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-28T04:24:14+00:00

    I solved the issue for now. I followed your instructions but the problem ended up being something else. Thanks for your input anyway.

    The problem was the adaptive contrast. I realized this because the contrast would change depending on how bright or dark a background was, and when it started changing, the screen would always go black. It would only do this when not plugged in, and when on the lowest brightness setting.

    I had to download Intel Graphics Command Center from the app store and disable the Display Power Savings option (which turns off the adaptive contrast).

    The black screen problem is gone :)

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-28T01:25:11+00:00

    Hi maur094,

    Thanks for reaching Microsoft Surface Community. We're sorry to hear you are having issues with the brightness on your Surface Laptop 3. Definitely this is not the experience that we want you to have.

    Does this happen even if the power supply is plugged in?

    Please try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

    Step 1 : Run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

    Step 2 : Open Settings > System

                 Under Display, uncheck "Change brightness automatically when lighting changes"

    Step 3 : Open Control Panel

                Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings

                Expand Display > Turn off display

                           On battery > change it to Never

                           Plugged in > change it to Never

                Click Apply > OK

    Please let us know if this helps. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us by posting or replying.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments