Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-10T10:51:42+00:00

    Hi,

    Even i am facing the same issue but in my case the problem does not go away even after downloading Intel Graphics Command Center and disabling the power savings option.

    Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-14T04:10:43+00:00

    yeah this only just started happening to me recently.  i have a feeling maybe a firmware or driver update has caused this for me at least.

    currently on windows 10 2004 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-11T05:28:16+00:00

    I have set the display to change brightness automatically, but from time to time when I switch to a very dark environment, the screen would dim then turns black. Pressing the increase brightness key (F7) won't turn the screen back on, the only workaround I've found is to close and open the lid.

    The exact stops to reproduce this problem:

    1. Go to a pitch black room
    2. Press F6 to reduce the brightness to the lowest
    3. Open a black image and maximize it (the purpose is to make the whole screen mostly black)
    4. Wait for about 10 to 15 seconds
    5. The screen will turn off

    Using Surface Laptop 3 13" Black with i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, with all latest updates and firmware installed.

    Just want to check if I'm the only one or this is a known issue.

    I tried these steps and managed to replicate the event. Thank you.

    Surface Laptop i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB. I tried disabling adaptive brightness per the suggestions on this thread. Nothing has worked thus far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-10T14:20:45+00:00

    It just happened for me, roughly three or so days after getting my new Surface Laptop 3 (13.5inch)

    It seems to only happen on battery power, and it might be connected to the "adaptive brightness" which I have contacted customer support to attempt to disable but their attempts haven't worked so far. 

    Anyway I notice it on battery power, and i just close the laptop, wait for few seconds and then open it back up and it stays on for maybe under 10 seconds then the "adaptive brightness" dims the screen and then suddenly goes black. 

    I assume things are still running in the background but this issue has just new happened twice in a row and once the day i got it. The screen just goes dark randomly it seems? 

    Hope this helps some how!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments