Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-08T22:05:46+00:00

    Hi Rage RAZR,

    Sorry for the delayed response. We appreciate you for sharing this work around with us. This actually helps other Community member to get there concerns taken cared of and since you have marked your other postas answered already, then it would be best if you can send a feedback to Microsoft using the Feedback Hub app to have this concern raised to our software engineers. 

    Kind Regards,

    Crest_Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-08T05:19:27+00:00

    Hi BibiRosas,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community.

    May I ask for the processor of the Surface Laptop 3 that you have? Is it the Intel version or AMD?

    Please try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

    1: Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit and check Windows Update

    2: Update drivers and firmware

                                   Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by going to Settings > System > About.

                                   Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Laptop 3 then click Download on the next page.

                                   Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next.

                                   After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart.

    If issues persist you may want to check this thread I had also that is having similar issue with what you are experiencing.

    If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-08T04:39:26+00:00

    I have a new Surface 3 Laptop. When I turn the brightness low, my screen suddenly goes black but my laptop is still on. The only way to get it to work again is by pressing the power button until its shuts off and on. What can I do to solve this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-05T00:48:27+00:00

    Hi Crest,

    Thank you for your reply. Neither running "sft /scannow" nor doing the in-place upgrade helped with this problem.

    However, I have found the cause of it being the display power saving setting which adjusts the display contrast based on the content displayed on the screen.

    There is another Microsoft Community question that addresses this same issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-laptop-3-display-turns-off-when-the/8fe57c8e-8d8d-484a-bf24-0e367e442d54.

    You can only find this setting in the Intel® Graphics Command Center, a Microsoft Store app that is NOT pre-installed in Surface Laptop 3.

    The work around of this problem is:

    1. Install and open Intel® Graphics Command Center
    2. Go to "System" on left hand side
    3. Go to "Power" on top
    4. Turn off "Display Power Saving"

    Another work around should you not want to turn this option off, is to close and open the lid.

    I call this a work around because it is not ideal to fix a problem by sacrificing battery life. I hope either Microsoft or Intel can release updates in the future to address this issue.

    Regards,

    Leon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments