Surface Laptop 3 display turns off when the brightness is at lowest setting

Anonymous
2019-11-27T23:49:06+00:00

The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it's set to low, it'll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn't go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up. 

This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.

All software is up to date. Any recommendations?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-27T14:57:04+00:00

Appreciate the confirmation and thank you for reporting this issue.

Update 9/24:

We published new improvements and fixes for Surface Laptop 3 that fix this issue. You can get updates now by checking Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. We recommend that you install these updates to keep your Surface performing its best.

For more information, please view the Surface Laptop 3 update history page.

Thanks,

Greg

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-10T14:20:45+00:00

    It just happened for me, roughly three or so days after getting my new Surface Laptop 3 (13.5inch)

    It seems to only happen on battery power, and it might be connected to the "adaptive brightness" which I have contacted customer support to attempt to disable but their attempts haven't worked so far. 

    Anyway I notice it on battery power, and i just close the laptop, wait for few seconds and then open it back up and it stays on for maybe under 10 seconds then the "adaptive brightness" dims the screen and then suddenly goes black. 

    I assume things are still running in the background but this issue has just new happened twice in a row and once the day i got it. The screen just goes dark randomly it seems? 

    Hope this helps some how!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-06T00:22:28+00:00

    Hi! Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I have the same problem and tried the proposed fix to no avail. Brought my computer to a country where there is no Microsoft retailer, so getting it changed is sadly not an option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T15:40:23+00:00

    System -> Power -> On Battery -> Display Power Savings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-21T23:34:13+00:00

    where is the display power savings option in the app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments