Hello Barb,
I have just returned from our day-long trip.
TV FIRMWARE: The TV is about 1 month old. I have not applied the latest firmware to the TV and I am not sure if the Geek Squad did, but I will follow up on this.
However, I rather doubt this is the issue, because it connects flawlessly via Miracast every time with both my HP computer and my Galaxy S6 phone.
I have friends with different versions of the Surface Pro but with the same model of TV. None of us had any success in connecting this combination of devices until manually implementing the Alternate Configuration for IPv4, and all have been able to make it work immediately after implementing the IPv4 change - but none of us has been able to successfully repeat the successful connections. The fact that in all cases it did work once must mean something.
**LIST OF DEVICES HAVING CONNECTED TO TV:**I did stop at Best Buy en route home today. The Geek Squad did not know the answer to your query about the TV retaining a list of computers that had connected and nobody there could find such a list. Although your messages came in after we departed at the crack of dawn this morning, I had thought of the same thing and we did take the SP2 with us.
We attempted to connect our SP2 to a similar TV in the store, and the result was the same - both devices indicated "Connecting...", but the connection timed out and failed. That would tend to suggest that the issue is not a list within the TV, as this was almost certainly the first time anyone had tried Miracast with that specific TV. I had no problem connecting to the store TV with my Galaxy S6 phone.
OTHER SUGGESTIONS: The chap at the Geek Squad desk suggested that some folks he knows had to turn off the Firewall (temporarily, of course) in order to get their Surface computers to connect via Miracast. At least one of the two apparently continued to work after the Firewall was turned back on.
That seems bizarre to me, and I don't like diminishing our security even temporarily, but I may disconnect from the internet and try it. However, this also brings me back to another suggestion I found online that apparently resolved the problem for the author's Surface, namely to create a Firewall exception for WUDFHost.exe. In this case, it was a permanent change - not temporary. Although 1 or 2 others replied that it worked for them as well, I have not tried this for three reasons:
- The aforementioned reluctance to play with the Firewall;
- I am not adequately knowledgeable to understand what that does or the implications of excepting it;
- my HP computer does not have such an exception, and I do not understand why it would be required for the SP2 if not for the HP running the same version of Windows 10 and with all the latest updates.
TV MIRACAST CERTIFICATION: I cannot say for sure that our model of TV is Miracast 'certified', but the Geek Squad believed it to be and I would be surprised if LG could legally display "Miracast(TM)" on their screens while connection attempts are underway, if it were not. Further, their Website also specifically states Miracast(TM) as well.
http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/smart-tv/connect
Thanks again for continuing to follow up on this Barb. It has been weeks of frustration and your assistance gives me hope of finding light at the end of a very long tunnel.