ok so i figured out the problem. when i got to controll panal and go to program. and click turn window feature on and off. and when i check hyper v (which allows me to have multiple power option like balance, high power, and high performance) and when they install the program then i get this problem with power butten. and no im not pressing down the power butten i just click it. i think they need an update about that because i do need high performance for my surface pro 3 bucause on balance mode you cant use full potential. the cpu performance is limited and wifi succs beacuse they limit them. i know that microsoft promissis the 9 hours of batery life but its not rigt that they are limiting the potential of the divice it self for the sake of the batery power usage..... i unchecked the hyper v and the power butten works fine. but im stuck with low performance.... you guys need to update the software
Surface Pro 3 Power/Lock button not working properly after Windows Update
So I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, however after the most recent Windows update when I press the power button once it brings up the "Slide to shutdown" screen. I read that Microsoft fixed an issue with the power button just before the release but I didn't have an issue until after the update. So I am assuming that the recent update caused the same issue that they previously fixed.
Thoughts?
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for the prompt replies! It would do it when I would click or tap the button for, what I would guess would be, 1 second. It actually quit doing it by the end of the day.
A little more information:
I installed the large updates and when they finished I almost immediately noticed the power button issue. It was late so I didn't want to look too much into the issue, so after trying to research exactly what the recent update was I powered the device off for the night. I use the Surface for work and school; while at work I noticed that it was still having an issue, which was quite annoying as I use it while assisting customers. So on my break I decided to look for a fix that I didn't find. I tried rebooting the device and shutting it down for a few minutes, but it was still acting up. I didn't have time to really look into a resolution; hence my post.
However, by the end of the day it stopped bringing up the "Slide to shut down" prompt when clicking the power button. I wish I knew why it had this problem and why it decided to start working.
Anyway, thanks again for the replies!
43 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-08-06T13:17:05+00:00 Curious George,
Thanks for letting us know. We are happy to hear that.
Cheers,
-
Anonymous
2014-08-06T22:53:45+00:00 I just had the same issue.
I contacted Microsoft Support and they are shipping me another Surface Pro 2.
Were you ever able to power on your Surface Pro 2 without a functioning power button?
I have data that I would like to recover and move to a functioning machine.
Thanks.
-
Anonymous
2014-08-07T14:16:18+00:00 I have the same problem. except all of the method does not work. and when I tried to do 2 button shutdown and it does not work. when I do it it wouldn't boot up. and each time I press the power button it shuts down the surface and its really annoying to restart again. please help.