Surface Pro 3 Power/Lock button not working properly after Windows Update

Anonymous
2014-06-27T19:12:41+00:00

So I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, however after the most recent Windows update when I press the power button once it brings up the "Slide to shutdown" screen. I read that Microsoft fixed an issue with the power button just before the release but I didn't have an issue until after the update. So I am assuming that the recent update caused the same issue that they previously fixed.

Thoughts?

Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-09T19:39:15+00:00

ok so i figured out the problem. when i got to controll panal and go to program. and click turn window feature on and off.  and when i check hyper v (which allows me to have multiple power option like balance, high power, and high performance) and when they install the program then i get this problem with power butten. and no im not pressing down the power butten i just click it.  i think they need an update about that because i do need high performance for my surface pro 3 bucause on balance mode you cant use full potential. the cpu performance is limited and wifi succs beacuse they limit them. i know that microsoft promissis the 9 hours of batery life but its not rigt that they are limiting  the potential of the divice it self for the sake of the batery power usage.....  i unchecked the hyper v and the power butten works fine. but im stuck with low performance.... you guys need to update the software

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-28T19:00:44+00:00

Thanks for the prompt replies! It would do it when I would click or tap the button for, what I would guess would be, 1 second. It actually quit doing it by the end of the day.

A little more information:

I installed the large updates and when they finished I almost immediately noticed the power button issue. It was late so I didn't want to look too much into the issue, so after trying to research exactly what the recent update was I powered the device off for the night. I use the Surface for work and school; while at work I noticed that it was still having an issue, which was quite annoying as I use it while assisting customers. So on my break I decided to look for a fix that I didn't find. I tried rebooting the device and shutting it down for a few minutes, but it was still acting up. I didn't have time to really look into a resolution; hence my post.

However, by the end of the day it stopped bringing up the "Slide to shut down" prompt when clicking the power button. I wish I knew why it had this problem and why it decided to start working.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T18:26:26+00:00

    Thank you for your advice, which I followed and my Surface now works perfectly again.

    The screen was totally locked, nothing I did would move it even by attaching the keypad.

    Thanks again for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T02:37:04+00:00

    Interestingly enough, I was able to (after having the same problem) get it to go back to normal by restarting it a couple of times. Not turning it off and back on again, I mean going into the charms bar on the right hand side, hitting settings, then power, then restart. After that it kinda fixed itself. Little bug in the system, I guess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-15T01:06:54+00:00

    Hi JREhlers,

    Thanks for your post to the Surface Community!  I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with the Windows button on your Surface Pro 3 device and touch cover that does not take you back to the Start Page.

    Please review the following troubleshooting steps to see if they resolve the issue:

    • Tap the Windows icon on the Surface Pro 3 and press the Windows key on the touch cover several times to clear any stuck keys

    Perform a manual shutdown of the Surface Pro 3:

    Step 1: hold down the power button for 15 seconds before releasing it

    Step 2: wait 15 seconds after device has been turned off

    Step 3: press the power button once to turn it back on

    Perform a two button shutdown of the Surface Pro 3:

    Step 1: holding down the power button for 15 seconds before releasing it

    Step 2: wait 15 seconds after device has been turned off

    Step 3: hold down both the volume up and the power button on your Surface Pro 3 for 15 seconds, then release both.  (Note: the screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds) 

    Step 4: wait 10 seconds after device has been turned off

    Step 5: press the power button once to turn it back on

    For more information about the two button shutdown, please visit the Surface touchscreen: problems with touch page.

    Does the Window button on your Surface Pro 3 and touch cover work after completing each of the steps?  Please keep us posted with your findings.

    Thanks,

    I have tried this method and everything else everyone recommend. I have been having this problem since my computer died a few nights ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments