ok so i figured out the problem. when i got to controll panal and go to program. and click turn window feature on and off. and when i check hyper v (which allows me to have multiple power option like balance, high power, and high performance) and when they install the program then i get this problem with power butten. and no im not pressing down the power butten i just click it. i think they need an update about that because i do need high performance for my surface pro 3 bucause on balance mode you cant use full potential. the cpu performance is limited and wifi succs beacuse they limit them. i know that microsoft promissis the 9 hours of batery life but its not rigt that they are limiting the potential of the divice it self for the sake of the batery power usage..... i unchecked the hyper v and the power butten works fine. but im stuck with low performance.... you guys need to update the software
Surface Pro 3 Power/Lock button not working properly after Windows Update
So I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, however after the most recent Windows update when I press the power button once it brings up the "Slide to shutdown" screen. I read that Microsoft fixed an issue with the power button just before the release but I didn't have an issue until after the update. So I am assuming that the recent update caused the same issue that they previously fixed.
Thoughts?
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for the prompt replies! It would do it when I would click or tap the button for, what I would guess would be, 1 second. It actually quit doing it by the end of the day.
A little more information:
I installed the large updates and when they finished I almost immediately noticed the power button issue. It was late so I didn't want to look too much into the issue, so after trying to research exactly what the recent update was I powered the device off for the night. I use the Surface for work and school; while at work I noticed that it was still having an issue, which was quite annoying as I use it while assisting customers. So on my break I decided to look for a fix that I didn't find. I tried rebooting the device and shutting it down for a few minutes, but it was still acting up. I didn't have time to really look into a resolution; hence my post.
However, by the end of the day it stopped bringing up the "Slide to shut down" prompt when clicking the power button. I wish I knew why it had this problem and why it decided to start working.
Anyway, thanks again for the replies!
43 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-06-28T18:38:55+00:00 So I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, however after the most recent Windows update when I press the power button once it brings up the "Slide to shutdown" screen. I read that Microsoft fixed an issue with the power button just before the release but I didn't have an issue until after the update. So I am assuming that the recent update caused the same issue that they previously fixed.
Thoughts?
Stupid question on my part here. Did you simply power down the device? Let it sit a few seconds and try again.... does the same thing appear?
Sometimes these updates require a reboot.... even though they say they don't. As a matter of protocol, I reboot after every update.... period.
-
Anonymous
2014-06-28T18:17:57+00:00 Hi DigitalCreation,
Thank you for reaching out to us on the community and bringing this question to us.
I understand that the power button on your Surface Pro 3 is not working correctly.
We are here to help.
I would like to know more details to give your a better suggestion.
- How long did you press the power button?
It is by design If you press and hold the power button for 2-3 seconds,
it will show "Slide to shutdown".
- Is the power button otherwise working normally?
You can also try a 2-button shutdown:
Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap or click Settings, tap or click Power, and then tap or click Shut down to shut down Surface.
If you can’t shut down Surface normally, press and hold the power button on your Surface for 10 seconds.
Step 2: After Surface turns off, press and hold the volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.
Please reply back and let us know.
Best Regards,
Clare
-
Anonymous
2014-06-18T12:38:41+00:00 Hello jdstock57
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the power button on your Surface Pro 2. Needless to say, this is no the expected operation.
Have you tried gently tapping on the power button to see if it frees itself? Any movement at all when you try?
If you are not able to proceed, and as you can not turn Surface on, please contact Support to explore your service options. You can contact them Here or Here.
Best regards