ok so i figured out the problem. when i got to controll panal and go to program. and click turn window feature on and off. and when i check hyper v (which allows me to have multiple power option like balance, high power, and high performance) and when they install the program then i get this problem with power butten. and no im not pressing down the power butten i just click it. i think they need an update about that because i do need high performance for my surface pro 3 bucause on balance mode you cant use full potential. the cpu performance is limited and wifi succs beacuse they limit them. i know that microsoft promissis the 9 hours of batery life but its not rigt that they are limiting the potential of the divice it self for the sake of the batery power usage..... i unchecked the hyper v and the power butten works fine. but im stuck with low performance.... you guys need to update the software
Surface Pro 3 Power/Lock button not working properly after Windows Update
So I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, however after the most recent Windows update when I press the power button once it brings up the "Slide to shutdown" screen. I read that Microsoft fixed an issue with the power button just before the release but I didn't have an issue until after the update. So I am assuming that the recent update caused the same issue that they previously fixed.
Thoughts?
Surface | Surface Pro | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for the prompt replies! It would do it when I would click or tap the button for, what I would guess would be, 1 second. It actually quit doing it by the end of the day.
A little more information:
I installed the large updates and when they finished I almost immediately noticed the power button issue. It was late so I didn't want to look too much into the issue, so after trying to research exactly what the recent update was I powered the device off for the night. I use the Surface for work and school; while at work I noticed that it was still having an issue, which was quite annoying as I use it while assisting customers. So on my break I decided to look for a fix that I didn't find. I tried rebooting the device and shutting it down for a few minutes, but it was still acting up. I didn't have time to really look into a resolution; hence my post.
However, by the end of the day it stopped bringing up the "Slide to shut down" prompt when clicking the power button. I wish I knew why it had this problem and why it decided to start working.
Anyway, thanks again for the replies!
43 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-12-23T20:50:15+00:00 I can confirm that disabling Hyper-V solved the sleep button issue for me. Hyper-V had been enabled when I installed Visual Studio and the Windows Phone SDK.
-
Anonymous
2014-11-29T21:46:39+00:00 I've just bought a Surface Pro 3 and instantly disliked the Windows button getting in the way when holding the device on the side, so I disabled the button in the device driver panel. Ever since then I suffered much the same trouble as you all have - completely irrational power button behavior. I couldn't power off or up using the button, no matter how many combinations I tried holding power and volume buttons to reset the device. I just re-enabled the Windows button.... and voilà. I have normal sleep button behavior again. If you've disabled the silly button on the side (top right or left would be nice Microsoft) like I did, try turning it back on. Flakey or what.... :(
-
Anonymous
2014-11-10T00:12:50+00:00 Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I turned the PC off for the night (I typically put it in sleep and just reboot every now and then). For some reason, having it completely off for some time fixed the power button issue. My guess is holding the power button down for ten seconds does the same type of shut down where all the memory loses power and it does a full shut down.