Surface Laptop 3 screen flickering issue - I had this with the Surface Pro 4 too

Anonymous
2020-04-11T01:56:49+00:00

Hello everyone,

I just noticed a problem with my two-month old Surface Laptop 3 (i7/16/256): there is screen flickering in the lower left corner of the screen. The flicker disappears when I move the mouse or play a video. I immediately panicked since I had a similar issue with my previous Surface Pro 4 and it turns out it was a hardware issue. The biggest issue is that on the Surface Pro 4 it has gotten worse over time.

Returning at this time is out of question for me, I need it for work.

Anyone else has this issue ? I'm not expecting an easy fix but who knows. 

PS: Below is a video with the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE4oI9wfAk

Thanks !

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-15T22:17:27+00:00

Ok everyone, I have great news !  (edit: not so great)

I managed to fix the issue (edit: nope).

Just as I suspected, it is indeed a power management issue where the panel tries to optimize power consumption by utilizing a technology called "panel self-refresh" which basically allows the screen electronics to refresh its current image independent of the graphics card if nothing has changed on the screen. You must disable that.

Here are the steps:

  • Open Microsoft Store, then search for and install "Intel® Graphics Command Center".
  • Open the app, go the "System" vertical tab, then go the "Power" horizontal tab
  • Disable the "Panel Self-Refresh" option on both "On Battery" and "Plugged In" modes.

The problem should instantly disappear, even before you leave the app.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the problem will only lessen in frequency, but will not disappear completely. But I will leave this post here, maybe it helps in some cases.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-28T15:37:01+00:00

    I am using Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 since December 2019 and started getting this Screen Flickering issue since June 24th, 2020. 

    It's annoying with thick vertical bar running across the screen right in the middle from top to bottom, very prominent. Please check this video

    . Tried all options suggested on this thread but no help.

    Have initiated the exchange.

    Regards,

    D

    I'm currently experiencing this issue as well, only that I've started noticing it today. My vertical flickering bar is located to the right of my screen, rather in the middle, but nevertheless it is extremely distracting. 

    May I ask if you've come across any fixes for this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-28T16:40:34+00:00

    I am using Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 since December 2019 and started getting this Screen Flickering issue since June 24th, 2020. 

    It's annoying with thick vertical bar running across the screen right in the middle from top to bottom, very prominent. Please check this video

    . Tried all options suggested on this thread but no help.

    Have initiated the exchange.

    Regards,

    D

    I'm currently experiencing this issue as well, only that I've started noticing it today. My vertical flickering bar is located to the right of my screen, rather in the middle, but nevertheless it is extremely distracting. 

    May I ask if you've come across any fixes for this issue?

    How odd, I also just started experiencing this today. I've tried everything, but no dice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-28T23:59:06+00:00

    Nope, couldn't fix this issue. I've initiated the exchange under warranty. Will keep this thread informed on how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T04:49:15+00:00

    Just an update from my end: The vertical flickering bar seems to have vanished today when I turned on the surface laptop. It most certainly is a hardware issue, going by what has been posted in this thread, and perhaps a more permanent fix would be an exchange.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments