Surface Laptop 3 screen flickering issue - I had this with the Surface Pro 4 too

Anonymous
2020-04-11T01:56:49+00:00

Hello everyone,

I just noticed a problem with my two-month old Surface Laptop 3 (i7/16/256): there is screen flickering in the lower left corner of the screen. The flicker disappears when I move the mouse or play a video. I immediately panicked since I had a similar issue with my previous Surface Pro 4 and it turns out it was a hardware issue. The biggest issue is that on the Surface Pro 4 it has gotten worse over time.

Returning at this time is out of question for me, I need it for work.

Anyone else has this issue ? I'm not expecting an easy fix but who knows. 

PS: Below is a video with the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE4oI9wfAk

Thanks !

Surface | Surface Laptop | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-15T22:17:27+00:00

Ok everyone, I have great news !  (edit: not so great)

I managed to fix the issue (edit: nope).

Just as I suspected, it is indeed a power management issue where the panel tries to optimize power consumption by utilizing a technology called "panel self-refresh" which basically allows the screen electronics to refresh its current image independent of the graphics card if nothing has changed on the screen. You must disable that.

Here are the steps:

  • Open Microsoft Store, then search for and install "Intel® Graphics Command Center".
  • Open the app, go the "System" vertical tab, then go the "Power" horizontal tab
  • Disable the "Panel Self-Refresh" option on both "On Battery" and "Plugged In" modes.

The problem should instantly disappear, even before you leave the app.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the problem will only lessen in frequency, but will not disappear completely. But I will leave this post here, maybe it helps in some cases.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-29T22:04:47+00:00

    I am having the same problem. UEFI screen shows no flickering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-11T02:45:04+00:00

    Unfortunately, after doing everything suggested, the problem is the same.

    I hope that at least it remains confined to that corner and not get worse over the next period. It looks to me like a defective backlight LED or a defective backlight circuit that cannot work well at lower currents or at lower PWM frequencies. A firmware update could maybe fix this but I am really not holding my breath. 

    The thing is that I love these 3:2 screen ratios that Microsoft uses for their laptops and tablets (and I hate those 16:9 and even 16:10 formats which are not suitable for business use - especially for programmers - but are more economical to produce due to lower total surface area), and in this regard there is almost no alternative to Microsoft Surface at this time.

    Did you have any luck?

    I'm not getting it everywhere, but in games and on the desktop for some reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-17T20:22:39+00:00

    Hi Catalin Stavaru1,

    Thank you for the response. I'm sorry to hear that the issue persist after those steps. Can you please boot the device to the UEFI screen and check if the flicker on that area also occurs on the UEFI screen? You may check this page for the steps on How to get to the UEFI settings. After checking on the UEFI, just choose Exit > Restart now.

    If the flicker also occurs in the UEFI screen, I highly suggest that you Contact Support and check for replacement options available since this is a hardware issue already.

    If the flicker does not happen on the UEFI screen, this could just be due to a software on the device and you may re-install Windows on the device using a USB Recovery Image. This option will reimage the entire device and reload Windows including the drivers and firmware. It is the most complete form of Reset and it will wipe out everything on the device so you might need to back up your files first. You will need also a 16GB/32GB of flash drive that must be formatted into FAT32 prior to downloading the Recovery Image. If you like to try, you can follow the steps provided below:

    How to Download, Create and Use a USB recovery drive

    To download the Recovery Image:

    • You'll need a PC running Windows 7 or later or Surface Device.
    1. Visit the page to Download the recovery image for your Surface
    2. Sign in with your Microsoft Account
    3. From the list of Surface devices available, select the device that you need a recovery image for

    Please note that while you will only be presented with devices that are currently registered on your account, you will also be presented with the option to get an image for a different type of device. If you try to use this option, you will be prompted to enter the serial number for that device 4. Download the recovery image using the button on the page 5. When the download bar pops up at the bottom of your screen, save the file in a location you will be able to find it.

     Format USB Drive:

    • Note: Formatting a recovery drive will erase anything that is already stored on your USB drive. Make sure to transfer any important data from your USB drive to another storage device before using it to create a Surface USB recovery drive.
    1. Insert your USB drive into the USB port of your PC.
    2. From the desktop, open File Explorer
    3. Tap and hold or right-click on the USB drive and choose Format
    4. Select FAT32 as the file system and enter a Volume label to name the USB drive, such as RECOVERY, and then tap or click Start
    5. Tap or click OK to erase the contents of the USB drive
    6. Tap or click OK when the format is complete

    Create a recovery drive:

    1. On your Surface or PC, open recovery image that you downloaded by double-clicking it or right click then select Extract and then Extract all.
    2. Select the USB drive you formatted earlier for the location and click Extract.

    Use a USB recovery drive to reset your Surface:

    1. Shutdown the Surface
    2. Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port
    3. Press and hold the volume-down (-) rocker
    4. Press and release the power button
    5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down (-) rocker
    6. Surface will start the recovery software on the USB recovery drive
    7. When prompted, choose your language options and keyboard layout
    8. Select Troubleshoot
    9. Select Recover from a Drive. Choose Remove Everything and Fully Clean the Drive. Recovering this PC.
    10. If prompted, select Repartition the drives
    11. If prompted for BitLocker Key, tap Skip this Drive

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-13T23:08:39+00:00

    Unfortunately, after doing everything suggested, the problem is the same.

    I hope that at least it remains confined to that corner and not get worse over the next period. It looks to me like a defective backlight LED or a defective backlight circuit that cannot work well at lower currents or at lower PWM frequencies. A firmware update could maybe fix this but I am really not holding my breath. 

    The thing is that I love these 3:2 screen ratios that Microsoft uses for their laptops and tablets (and I hate those 16:9 and even 16:10 formats which are not suitable for business use - especially for programmers - but are more economical to produce due to lower total surface area), and in this regard there is almost no alternative to Microsoft Surface at this time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments