Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-07T04:34:30+00:00

    I was talking to MS staff via online chat for getting some support and got the usual response: developers are aware of the problem and there will be another patch for fixing this issue. That doesn't say much, for sure. But it's a start and made me keep the device for now ... unplugging it from time to time is a feasible and bearable workaround for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-09T14:36:06+00:00

    I got this problem also.  It keeps happened.  It makes my work much trouble.  MS must do something for it and urgently.  It is not a cheap Notebook.  Why MS still can not find a solution for it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-09T16:38:55+00:00

    Mine is well under the warranty, so I am just going to have it replaced.  I have already logged the issue with their support desk and took videos on my phone of the behavior.  It has been less frequent lately, but still happens at inopportune times.  Sometimes, unplugging it, waiting a few minutes on battery and then plugging it back in resolves the issue.  Other times, that trick does not work.

    I have found the state that is turning on "Prochot", but can't seem to find a way to disable that control.  It might be a faulty sensor on/near the CPU that is stating that the temp is too hot, even when it clearly isn't hot at all.  They might find a software fix, but since the unit has been out for almost a year, I'm guessing that they will lose focus on trying to resolve it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments