Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-23T14:12:26+00:00

    I was hoping that 1909 would have addressed this, but to no avail.  This morning, the power trick didn’t even work, so i am on battery until i can restart. Have had enough. I’m going to run a full backup and have the device replaced.  Sad that this is happening on an SP6. Wonder if they will just let me upgrade to the 7 when it comes out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-23T13:47:53+00:00

    Same issue with me. It happened with the August update.

    I have been able to minimize the problem 90% by using throttlestop and disabling prochot which is causing the dip in performance.

    The issue is coming from a false reading due to a problem with the driver and the battery. If you reach out support they will just tell you to use diagnostic tool which won't do anything or to refresh the notebook. (Which I did and it sucked because the problem still persisted) My surface book 2 was doing amazing prior the August update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-20T05:32:15+00:00

    I'm on Windows 10 1903, but it's the same problem. It hasn't happened for a while, but I've had the same issue on build 1903. I've also tried a factory reset, but that did not solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-20T05:22:58+00:00

    On 1903, the problem decreased in frequency, but still showed up on mine. Just updated to 1909. Hopefully there was something in therep to address it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments