Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-06T11:45:34+00:00

    Probable solution for all users of devices that come equipped with batteries: if your CPU is stuck at 0.40 GHz ... unplug the power for a second, then plug in again. As soon as the power is unplugged, the CPU jumps back to decent speed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-06T10:04:53+00:00

    Same here. In my case throttling persists forced shutdowns using 10s-hold of power button, then waiting a few minutes and restarting device. Using Bitlocker Pre-Boot-Prompt I can say if CPU is still throttled from whether blue background is rendered in about 100ms or nearly a second with colour visibly swiping in from the top.

    Tried resetting the device which is just a few days old, dropping all my data and starting fresh. The error persists and happens after up to 2h work no matter how much I do with the device, sometimes occurring after just 15 minutes.

    Had all the updates installed before. Trying the diagnostics tool currently, which is taking ages to "fix" a fresh install of Windows 10 with no extra apps but Firefox installed. Diagnostics Tool started with claiming issues with my Bitlocker setup ... had bitlocker enabled before resetting, but haven't re-enabled afterwards. Tried that separate tool recommended then but that tool just claims to be unable to fix any Bitlocker-related issue which isn't expected answer according to related KB page of MS.

    And I tried getting in touch with MS ... now waiting in queue for some staff member picking me up ... my position in queue started at #1 and has been #1 for at least 30 minutes now.

    My device? Just some i7/16GB Surface Pro 6 I've bought less than a week before by paying an Apple-like stack of money. Guess, Genius Bar would be more helpful in this ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-07-22T13:42:57+00:00

    You can't actually reinstall FIRMWARE - or downgrade it. Try the consumer
    version of the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037239/surface-fix-common-surface-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit
    which can often fix most software and driver issues. It will pull down any
    updates your are missing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-22T13:31:42+00:00

    I have this problem too.

    How do I reinstall the firmware?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments