Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz (While charging) (SOLVED)

Anonymous
2019-06-23T19:00:04+00:00

I'm posting to report a bug that seems to occur on rare occasions. Every once in a while my Surface Pro 6 gets stuck at 0.40GHz while it's plugged to the adapter but works fine on battery. I've had this issue occur about 4-5 times throughout the 6 months I've owned it. The only fix for this issue is re-installing the Surface Pro 6 firmware. I think it's more firmware related than hardware, or maybe the chip that holds the firmware is defective? Anyways, I thought I'd report this issue because it still needs fixing.

SOLVED - This was fixed with the latest (Nov) firmware update.

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-10-25T03:04:31+00:00

Thank you for reporting the issue.  

A fix for this issue is currently available through our Release Preview ring in the Windows Insider Program.  When joining the Windows Insider program you will stay on a retail build of Windows, but get a sneak peek at on-going development of apps, drivers, and other quality updates.  As of the date of this post, Release Preview installs Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, you will also receive prerelease updates for Surface before they are more broadly available.  The Windows Insiders program is designed exclusively for people who want to be involved in the process of trying out new updates before the final release to everyone.

To join the Windows Insider Program go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and click Get Started.  You will need to provide a Microsoft Account and when prompted choose Release Preview. You can always go to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Insider Program to opt out of receiving preview updates.  

This fix will be generally available through Windows Update as soon as it completes our quality testing.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T11:26:02+00:00

    This problem seems be solved by updated on 04 Oct.  I don't have this problem after updated it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-23T17:58:13+00:00

    This works for me most of the time, however, I use a docking station with external monitor, external hard drive, and an ethernet connection (large file transfers).  Unplugging is incredibly inconvenient.

      I have the same issue.  And I'm using MS stuff across the board - sculpt keyboard and mouse, Surface Dock, etc. --, so it's not like I have a lot of liability for combining drivers.  When I have to undock, it's a killer.  My speakerphone that I use for Teams (also MS) calls is connected to the USB on the dock.  The network and audio go out when I have to undock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-23T17:55:57+00:00

    Paul - similar to the rest of the issues reported here.  You have definitely found the right place ... the question is really whether MS will do something to solve a systemic problem on one of their flagship devices....  So far, no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-23T17:29:11+00:00

    This works for me most of the time, however, I use a docking station with external monitor, external hard drive, and an ethernet connection (large file transfers).  Unplugging is incredibly inconvenient.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments