how did you unistall this firmware? Microsoft says that there is no way to unistall old firmware. also, how did you install another firmware for your device I tried that the screen turns to black then my surface recover itself back .
Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB) - Battery Life?
I picked up a Surface Pro 7 on launch but I'm really struggling with the battery life, with light usage (a few office apps and a few tabs in Edge) I'm struggling to get more than 5 hours, even with Battery Saving mode on, brightness at around 20-25 and nothing running the back ground.
I've updated everything to it latest version, surely I should be seeing better battery life than this?
Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-04-19T09:40:28+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-04-19T10:30:28+00:00 After I downloaded and instilled the driver, I went back into my download file and clicked on the installation app for the driver again. It gave me an option to instill, repair, or unstill. I was not able to uninstill the other drive and luckily it wasn't the one causing the problem.
My screen also went black after instilling the drivers and then restarted.
-
Anonymous
2020-04-19T18:44:23+00:00 I already have that update.
When I compared edge to chrome in the task manager, they were using about the same amount of the CPU and in some instances chrome was better, but, they are comparably the same.
Lately, I am now getting about 4 hours of constant use (at best). I need to keep an external charger handy to make it through the work day.
-
Anonymous
2020-04-19T19:16:06+00:00 Sorry to hear that. I use Microsoft's Edge Carney Browser, not the standard Edge Browser. Prior to installing that problematic driver I was getting close to 7 hours of battery life. So changing Browers probably has a small to medium, rather than large, impact.
If you haven't already done so, you might want to try the 10 Tips? Tip #2 was the most useful for me. That said, the worst battery life I was ever getting was 5.5 hours, so your battery solution might be very different from mine.
-
Anonymous
2020-04-28T20:25:30+00:00 I am getting 7.5 to 8 hours of battery life. Doesn't matter if I am just watching YouTube videos, or doing work using Microsoft Office apps. Also, my Surface Pro was not new, it was an open-box excellent condition purchase from Best Buy. Anyway, here are some of the things I did to increase my Surface Pro 7's battery life:
- Made sure all background apps are always turned off.
- Use Microsoft Edge Carney browser (Google Chrome is a big drain on the battery).
- Unless I am using it, I always have the Edge Carney browser closed.
- I keep screen brightness at around 50%-60%.
5. Battery saver mode is activated as soon as the battery's charge goes below 100%.
6. Applied some of the tips from this webpage, "Ultimate Tips to Max Out Microsoft Surface Battery Life" (https://surfacetip.com/ultimate-tips-max-surface-pro-4-battery-life/)
- Instilled this driver/firmware update, SurfacePro7_Win10_17763_20.020.2886.0. msi (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419)
- Most importantly, uninstalled this driver/firmware update, SurfacePro7_Win10_18362_ 20.014.39957.0.msi, from my Surface Pro 7. For whatever reason, removing this driver/firmware update increased my battery's life by around 2 hours.
Hope these things work as well for you as they did for me...
Here is my response in another thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/battery-drain-issue/881eba77-35d8-4c83-8f51-fd0c68d118ac?rtAction=1588102887605&tm=1588103148522
This seems like a great patch solution for people that are a bit techie & savvy. I have not tried this myself and will look into the firmware piece, as I really believe that this is a software issue as people have received replacement units and still have the horrible battery life. This is why I have not sent for a replacement as I have no other issues with the hardware and reset the OS twice to make sure the setup is ok.
Between points 1,3,4 &5, these are not normal things one should have to do to extend battery life. On number 2, indeed Google Chrome is a hog on battery (depending on how it is setup ie: extensions, adblockers, 3rd parties Add-ons/EXT,etc). There is the new MS Edge Chromium, which has the same issues in my opinion. The regular MS Edge browser was not so bad, but not a fan for me or others out there. There are other choices/options in this regard anyway.
Number 6, I had done most of what the suggestions are mentioned, installed BatteryBar, create a new PowerPlan, Cortana for me is completely off (i just don't use it at all). As for the rest, it mentions to turn off practically everything... It is unacceptable to have to do all this to reach a proper & respectable battery life. What is the point to have a tablet where most of the options needs to be off to work...ridiculous!
Unfortunately, this is not the right or permanent solution. Microsoft needs to fix the issue at the core, either software or hardware. The latter will obviously not happen due tot he way of the design. But nevertheless, if they claim they had 10.5 hours in the lab, there is no reason that we should not get a respectable 6/7 hours minimum out of the box!
I truly believe this is a software (Firmware) issue as I mentioned in my previous post above.
My new work tablet, Lenovo, gave me 6.5 hours with absolutely not tweaks (confirmed with IT dept.) and cost $500 less!! WTH!!. I would play movies, surf, work, etc....and get great battery life. (the company replaced all the surface tablets (that was the only tablets we had) because of the battery life issue). good way to lose business customers hey MS?
MS keeps putting their head in the sand and ignoring the issue altogether as we have not seen any significant fixes for this issue in years, meaning all other Surface have had battery issues (big & small).
Microsoft, you need to fix it! Plain & Simple!!