Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB) - Battery Life?

Anonymous
2019-11-04T13:14:39+00:00

I picked up a Surface Pro 7 on launch but I'm really struggling with the battery life, with light usage (a few office apps and a few tabs in Edge) I'm struggling to get more than 5 hours, even with Battery Saving mode on, brightness at around 20-25 and nothing running the back ground.

I've updated everything to it latest version, surely I should be seeing better battery life than this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T23:58:59+00:00

    Hi HeyCori, have you tried installing the drivers and firmware that I recommended? And my last suggestion is is lower down the battery level to 10% then charge up to 100% without using the device. Once done, set the brightness to 50%, do not connect any accessories, unplug the PSU, connect to Wi-FI and watch a High Definition Movie? Also, how much battery are you getting? What where the applications used and the accessories connected when the battery dropped? Do you see high CPU usage in Task Manager?

    Looking forward for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-08T18:09:31+00:00

    I have the i3 version and I'm also noticing quick battery drain.  In fact, after installing the most recent cumulative updates, the battery icon was bugged and displayed the charging symbol even when not plugged in.  I've since deleted that particular update but maybe I'll play it safe and remove other updates aside from the security patches and firmware updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-05T17:25:19+00:00

    Hi, we have another work around here. Try to lower down the battery level to 10% then charge up to 100% without using the device. Once done, set the brightness to 50%, do not connect any accessories, unplug the PSU, connect to Wi-FI and watch a High Definition Movie. Let us know how much battery life you will get.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-04T23:24:48+00:00

    Hello ChrisMitchell9,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Try to follow the instructions below and test your Surface battery life.

    • Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates.
    • Uninstall and reinstall battery driver. From Device Manager, expand the Batteries category. Right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, select the Driver tab, and select Uninstall > OK. Restart the device.
    • Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file. This is to make sure you got the latest Drivers and Firmware.
      • If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number.
      • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,                                                                                                                 

    KarenJune_F

    Thanks I'll give those a go - its disappointing to see the battery going down by 1% every couple of minutes when the machine is practically idle

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-04T22:41:11+00:00

    Paul Thurrott's review is interesting. He is getting 6 hours only. So I doubt that any hoop jumping will change this much. https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/221387/microsoft-surface-pro-7-review

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments