Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB) - Battery Life?

Anonymous
2019-11-04T13:14:39+00:00

I picked up a Surface Pro 7 on launch but I'm really struggling with the battery life, with light usage (a few office apps and a few tabs in Edge) I'm struggling to get more than 5 hours, even with Battery Saving mode on, brightness at around 20-25 and nothing running the back ground.

I've updated everything to it latest version, surely I should be seeing better battery life than this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T09:40:28+00:00

    how did you unistall this firmware? Microsoft says that there is no way to unistall old firmware. also, how did you install another firmware for your device I tried that the screen turns to black then my surface recover itself back .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T05:53:36+00:00

    I am getting 7.5 to 8 hours of battery life.  Doesn't matter if I am just watching YouTube videos, or doing work using Microsoft Office apps.  Also, my Surface Pro was not new, it was an open-box excellent condition purchase from Best Buy.  Anyway, here are some of the things I did to increase my Surface Pro 7's battery life:

    1. Made sure all background apps are always turned off.
    2. Use Microsoft Edge Canary browser (Google Chrome is a big drain on the battery).
    3. Unless I am using it, I always have the Edge Carney browser closed. 
    4. I keep screen brightness at around 50%-60%.

    5. Battery saver mode is activated as soon as the battery's charge goes below 100%.

    6. Applied some of the tips from this webpage, "Ultimate Tips to Max Out Microsoft Surface Battery Life" (https://surfacetip.com/ultimate-tips-max-surface-pro-4-battery-life/)

    1. Instilled this driver/firmware update,  SurfacePro7_Win10_17763_20.020.2886.0. msi (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419)
    2. Most importantly, uninstalled this driver/firmware update, SurfacePro7_Win10_18362_ 20.014.39957.0.msi, from my Surface Pro 7.  For whatever reason, removing this driver/firmware update increased my battery's life by around 2 hours. 

    Hope these things work as well for you as they did for me...

    Update 7/14/2020:  After instilling the Windows 10 2004 update my battery life has dropped to 6 hours and 30 minutes of continuous YouTube viewing (50% brightness, battery saver and Wifi on, Bluetooth off).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-30T17:56:53+00:00

    You are absolutely correct.  You can leave the device with the screen on for about 9 hours, but the moment you start using it, the drain on the battery is noticeable.   

    It's funny how Microsoft has yet to notice any issues with the SP7.  It leads me to believe those who purchased the SP7 are actually the testers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-30T17:44:39+00:00

    I have the i5 256gb model. and I too get barely 5 hours out of it. I am currently teaching from home because of the coronavirus and only use gmail and google classroom. No streaming or anything intensive. It goes FAST! it is a shame. I really like this device. 

    I use this device to edit video (even 4k) with premiere and edit photos with lightroom and photoshop. I have DAWs for music making and editing music. Everything runs as I want it (pretty much).

    But the battery life when I am not doing any of those things is atrocious.When the machine is idle, doing nothing, then maybe it will get 8-10 hours. But otherwise, forget it. You wont be able to take this anywhere without the charger or a power bank.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-01T05:01:53+00:00

    I guess there's still the possibility that Microsoft will do right by its customers.

    Dare to dream..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments