Surface Pro 7 (i7, 16GB, 512GB) - Battery Life?

Anonymous
2019-11-04T13:14:39+00:00

I picked up a Surface Pro 7 on launch but I'm really struggling with the battery life, with light usage (a few office apps and a few tabs in Edge) I'm struggling to get more than 5 hours, even with Battery Saving mode on, brightness at around 20-25 and nothing running the back ground.

I've updated everything to it latest version, surely I should be seeing better battery life than this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-20T20:15:30+00:00

    I still love all the features and the performance to form factor. But I won’t buy another one based on the terrible battery life. It’s absolutely terrible. I will be buying an actual laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T05:53:36+00:00

    I am getting 7.5 to 8 hours of battery life.  Doesn't matter if I am just watching YouTube videos, or doing work using Microsoft Office apps.  Also, my Surface Pro was not new, it was an open-box excellent condition purchase from Best Buy.  Anyway, here are some of the things I did to increase my Surface Pro 7's battery life:

    1. Made sure all background apps are always turned off.
    2. Use Microsoft Edge Canary browser (Google Chrome is a big drain on the battery).
    3. Unless I am using it, I always have the Edge Carney browser closed. 
    4. I keep screen brightness at around 50%-60%.

    5. Battery saver mode is activated as soon as the battery's charge goes below 100%.

    6. Applied some of the tips from this webpage, "Ultimate Tips to Max Out Microsoft Surface Battery Life" (https://surfacetip.com/ultimate-tips-max-surface-pro-4-battery-life/)

    1. Instilled this driver/firmware update,  SurfacePro7_Win10_17763_20.020.2886.0. msi (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419)
    2. Most importantly, uninstalled this driver/firmware update, SurfacePro7_Win10_18362_ 20.014.39957.0.msi, from my Surface Pro 7.  For whatever reason, removing this driver/firmware update increased my battery's life by around 2 hours. 

    Hope these things work as well for you as they did for me...

    Update 7/14/2020:  After instilling the Windows 10 2004 update my battery life has dropped to 6 hours and 30 minutes of continuous YouTube viewing (50% brightness, battery saver and Wifi on, Bluetooth off).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-11-29T10:21:32+00:00

    There are many other people reporting 5-6 hours battery life.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-18T22:20:20+00:00

    Hi

    Thanks for the details. So far, we have a progress on your concern by Karen's suggestions as you have mentioned. We hope your issue was being fix by now already.

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,

    Edd

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-04T23:24:48+00:00

    Hello ChrisMitchell9,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Try to follow the instructions below and test your Surface battery life.

    • Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. Or manually check Windows Updates by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Check for updates.
    • Uninstall and reinstall battery driver. From Device Manager, expand the Batteries category. Right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, select the Driver tab, and select Uninstall > OK. Restart the device.
    • Go to Download drivers and firmware for Surface and download the .msi file. This is to make sure you got the latest Drivers and Firmware.
      • If there's not an .msi file that corresponds to the build of Windows 10 you have installed, select the .msi file that's closest to your build number.
      • To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,                                                                                                                 

    KarenJune_F

    Thanks I'll give those a go - its disappointing to see the battery going down by 1% every couple of minutes when the machine is practically idle

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments