I've had KB5040430 uninstalled for a while now, but it looks like subsequent Cumulative Updates for Server 2016 are also being applied. So that means that these RDS servers cannot get patched until this issue is resolved? I've tried every work around I can find and nothing is working.
Remote Desktop Gateway frequent disconnects after KB5040430
After installing KB5040430, we are seeing issues on the Server 2019 Remote Desktop Gateway on RDS.
All users get disconnected approximately every 30-60 minutes, and the following is logged in the Application log on the RD Gateway:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TSGateway, version: 10.0.17763.3346, time stamp: 0xb6a0daab
Faulting module name: aaedge.dll, version: 10.0.17763.6054, time stamp: 0xce1c5805
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005abe2
Faulting process id: 0x1db0
Faulting application start time: 0x01dad38ae65f65ae
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\aaedge.dll
Report Id: bbb10a26-fc25-4bba-9ed8-45c2eff5f5ba
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
The system was operating normally before the Windows Update.
What steps can be taken to resolve this issue please?
Windows for business | Windows Server | Performance | System performance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-09-19T19:04:40+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-09-19T18:25:35+00:00 As so many others stated, I also had disconnecting RDS sessions & users could reconnect after about 1 minute of waiting. Periodically we would get popups for "Remote Desktop Licensing Issue" & just as it stated, users would be knocked off after about 60 minutes.
However, yesterday, we started having issues with DNS - users couldn't resolve website names anymore, thus no more web browsing for them.
A couple days earlier, I saw a time mismatch popup, but never saw it again, and all server's clocks are in sync... how strange...When we had DNS problem, it'd only affect 1 RDS server, not all, so a simple restart that 1 RDS would temporarily fix its name resolution for perhaps an hour or two but then name resolution stopped again. The DCs were resolving/pulling up websites fine & DNS server service had no issues. And the problematic RDS DNS client service was running fine, but when name resolutions failed, nslookup suddenly showed "DNS Server: Unknown" whereas it had prior shown one of our DCs.
I had just ran updates in hopes, as others had, that recent releases would fix things. Nope.. Maybe made things worse, given the DNS issues.
I finally bit the bullet and uninstalled kb5040430. Given the number of user complaints for name resolution (and my concern over the strange time mismatch popup), I went sledge-hammer and uninstalled any updates that I could that were dated all the way back to July install date. I did this for RDS servers, GW, and DCs.Anyhow, after doing the uninstalls I mentioned, it's been over 20 hours and no issues yet with RDS .. not yet.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-12T14:27:23+00:00 @aw.windowsnutzer What OS version are you seeing the issue with?
-
Anonymous
2024-09-12T14:17:23+00:00 I can confirm that. Where is the best place to find out when and if Microsoft will comment on this? This Thread?
-
Anonymous
2024-09-10T21:06:47+00:00 That fixed it - thank you.