WINDOWS HOME 11 conflict with CANON MF SCAN UTILITY

Anonymous
2024-12-05T13:40:23+00:00

I reinstalled Windows 11 Home on my computer. When I start scanning with the CANON MF SCAN UTILITY program, the following message appears: "Cannot communicate with the scanner. The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off. Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated."
I reinstalled the drivers again, reset the printer, modem. The problem is not solved.

The previous installation of Windows 11 Home worked without any problems.

Canon technical support informed me that the problem is in the blocking of the Windows 11 security system from sending information via WIFI.

I see that there are enough similar messages, but there is no solution. Please help solve this.

***moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Performance and system failures***

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Print, fax, and scan

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-12-21T15:31:34+00:00

I have been frustrated by this issue also. I bought a new desktop machine and it immediately updated and installed Win11 24H2 on it. I then installed my Canon software for my printer MF750C and the MF Scan Utility would fail with the message mentioned many times in this thread.

I have installed all the latest updates and including the one Microsoft released 12/10/2024, KB5048667, but none of that made the scanner software work.

Now today I reinstalled just the drivers for the MF750C under the Imaging devices in Device Manager, and it started working, and has kept working as I think I have tested after rebooting at least 10 times today.

So bring up Device Manager, (right click on the Start Menu), expand Imaging devices, then right click your device, mine says Canon MF750C Series, (2 times). Now this part is important as I checked it twice and if you don't Disable the device first it doesn't seem to work right. So right click on the device and click Disable Device. My MF750C is listed twice here in Imaging devices, so be sure to Disable Device for both of them. Then right click on it again and select Browse my computer for drivers, then select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer. Your printer/scanner should be in the list, make sure it is selected, then click Next.

Mine then came back and said Windows has successfully updated your drivers. Make sure you do this for BOTH of the devices listed there, at least if it lists two of them. Windows does say it updated the device driver. I'm not sure what it did for sure but it did something.

It doesn't say you have to, but I then rebooted my machine before I tried the software, but then the MF Scan Utility works! It has kept working for 2 days now, and after many reboots!

I don't know if this will work for everyone but so far it has worked for me. I have no ideas what made it work today.

Microsoft and Canon, (and apparently HP and Brother), need to talk and get this resolved for people!

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-12T21:21:26+00:00

    I also have MF656Cdw connected via wireless internet that won't scan. I just talked to a very helpful Canon Support person called Richie. After checking a few obvious things on the printer, he used Windows Specifications to discover that I have Windows 11 Pro version 24H2, He said that everyone with this version of Windows 11 has the problem that MF Scan Utility will not work. Canon is working on this, but who knows when they will succeed. I suppose I could roll back the version, but this might cause other problems.

    For a workaround, we downloaded Windows Scan from the Microsoft Store. Scans will complete with this app. The results are stored in the Pictures/Scans folder. I don't see how to do double-sided scanning with this app. It also scans from the Feeder.

    A better workaround I've used is to scan to a thumb drive connected to the printer. This is a very nice Canon utility on the printer (Home/Scan/USB Memory) that allows a choice of single or double-sided scanning for each document scanned. Then, of course, I have to put the thumb drive into my PC to transfer the scans to the correct folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-11T17:08:53+00:00

    I have the same problem with Canon MF657Cdw Scanner on my new Windows 11 notebook. The printer works good, but sthe canner doesn't. The scanner on my other Windows 10 notebook works as expected.
    I need help, too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-06T12:59:29+00:00

    I followed all the recommendations. No changes occurred. Please help me solve this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-06T09:25:37+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting in the Microsoft community forum.

    I understand that there is a problem when your computer is wirelessly connected to the scanner for work. May I know if you have made any system updates recently?

    1. Check Network Discovery.

    Open the Start menu, type Control Panel, and open it. Go to the Network and Sharing Center. Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings. Make sure that Turn on Network Discovery and Turn on File and printer Sharing are enabled.

    1. Check the network connection between the computer and the scanner device. You can test this by using the ping tool at the command prompt. Press 'Win + R' to open the run window. Type 'cmd' and then press Enter to open Command Prompt. Enter ping [scanner device IP] and press Enter.
    2. Verify that the firewall allows communication with the Canon MF Scan Utility.
    • Open the Start menu, type "Windows Security" and open it.
    • Click "Firewall and Network Protection" > "Allow applications through the Firewall".
    • Look for the Canon MF Scan Utility in the list. If it does not exist, click "Change Settings" and "Allow Other Applications" to add it manually. Make sure to allow it on both private and public networks.
    • As a test, you can temporarily disable the firewall for connection.
    1. If this phenomenon occurs after a specific system update patch is installed, uninstall the system update temporarily to test it.

    How to uninstall a Windows update - Microsoft Support

    I hope this helps.

    Best regards

    Jacen

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments