Slow wired upload speed vs Linux on same hardware

Dawid Oosthuizen 26 Reputation points
2020-09-09T05:18:31.053+00:00

Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-AT2, 10G network interface on ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T with AMD EPYC 7232P processor.
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, 2004.
Latest Windows updates and Intel drivers installed as of 09/09/2020.

This machine is a dual boot, the above Windows version, and Ubuntu 20.04.
When doing a speed test, I get good performance from Ubuntu, but very poor uploads from Windows. This is on the same machine, the exact same hardware.

The WAN link is 1000Mbps down, 50Mbps up.

This is the Windows speedtest result:
23320-windows-10-speedtest.png

This is the Ubuntu speedtest result:
23325-ubuntu-2004-speedtest.png

I have tried to tweak the adapter's advanced driver settings in Windows, such as disabling LSO, etc. No luck, performance remains poor.

I've also noticed it on another PC running Windows 10 Pro, and a laptop running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, both give the same poor upload performance. Whereas my other Ubuntu 20.04 Server machine, and also my phone connected via Wi-Fi, is getting good upload speeds.

I have even taken the Windows laptop and plugged it straight into my incoming WAN connection (bypassing router), and it still gets poor upload speeds.

Incidentally, when the speed test is running, I can see that the upload looks bursty on Windows, like it is only getting chunks of data here and there, while in Linux and on Android it looks the same as the download, the graph is drawn at a consistent high rate and with consistent high values.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | Networking | Network connectivity and file sharing

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. vangy eco 1 Reputation point
    2021-01-25T01:23:12.747+00:00

    I am not sure what is happening i tried www.nperf.com and speedtest.net and my results are the right ones 100+ down and 35up both about the same with firefox. my problem is with twitch server tests, with all the servers of https://restream.io/speed-test and also tried https://testmy.net/ that is test youtube upload/download.... same bad results that cap aroun 4-5mbps.... so my windows 10 is specifically cap my connection on streaming services... while with the same connection i have perfect streaming upload with different machines..like my mobile....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. mensa84 6 Reputation points
    2021-01-24T08:58:40.783+00:00

    I found out now, that I have nearly full upload speed at www.nperf.com to the same speedtest server as on speedtest.net
    Both tests are done in the same Browser (Edge 88.0.705.50) on Win 10 64 Bit.

    Do you think, that the technique used on speedtest.net is causing that problems?

    59923-image.png

    59933-image.png

    My upload speed in the Browser seems also to be fine again now. For example full 50 Mbit/s upload to Google Drive.
    But upload to uploaded.net is only about 4 Mbit. Do you think, that there are currently upload techniques which are causing that slow speed?

    I don't understand why nperf and Google Drive do work with full upload speed and speedtest.net and uploaded.net only with 4 Mbit.

    My internet plan is 500/50 Mbit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Lucifer 6 Reputation points
    2021-01-23T02:47:48.713+00:00

    Hi
    I'm not good at English and I don't understand all the written contents, but I will write one item that interests me.

    Is RSS (Receive Side Scaling) disabled in the NIC settings?
    Is SMB multi-channel enabled and could it be the cause of the problem?

    FYI
    The basics of SMB Multichannel, a feature of Windows Server 2012 and SMB 3.0
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/josebda/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0

    • Enable and disable multi-channel on the server side
      Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $ true
      Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $ false
    • Enable / disable multi-channel on the client side
      Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $ true
      Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $ false

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. vangy eco 1 Reputation point
    2021-01-16T11:30:55.447+00:00

    I have 2 PC with Windows 10 that on all speed tests Getting 30-40 up speed.
    at twitch (and others) speed tests Im getting an average of 4-5 upload.
    I tested the TCPOptimizer play with some options.
    when I was trying to mess a bit with congestion provider to none (i tried also ctcp,dctp,newReno)with tcpoptimizer When I restarted my streaming tests was fixed up to 20-30 which is normal for the servers i was testing it.worked well till I restarted the pc... I was checking the TPC optimizer and the congestion provider was reverted back to CUBIC ( I guess that is the default now,but also the none=default..?)I tried to changed it again to none and after restart it worked again and I was able to test the uploading to 20-30 and stream without issues at my desired upload speed that is 6-10 ....
    A few days ago windows had an update and now anything I'm doing doesn't make my upload good for streaming.like I have a limiter inside windows that limit my upload for streaming services to 4-5.with the same router I connected to my pc via wifi same issue.I was thinking that my ISP maybe had something to do with it then i tried to connect with the same router and wifi connection (same ISP) with my mobile phone and at the same tests i got constant 30+ uploading speeds. I connected my PC with my mobile plan that is more than 50up and while phone could go up to that number pc insisted to cap at 4 to 5 upload.
    that lead me to believe that is something wrong with windows 10 and congestion provider. The problem was there before the update but it was not constant. and trying 2-3 tricks it saddently worked. now with that update... its game over. Anything else we can try? is there any other congestion provider i can change to it...that might help? the TCPOptimizer has ctcp,default,none,dctcp,NewReno and Cubic... are there more? or we are doomed with that windows "bug" ?
    Im streamer and that hurt me very badly.. also frustrated cause i pay so much more for that isp plan to be able to have upload 200+download and up to 50+upload just for streaming and now windows think that my service is congested and cap it unreasonably at 1/10 of my upload speed.
    at dslReports site im getting A and A+ at everything. fast.com speedtest same. at longer uploading testings im getting constant uploading speed and also i dont have bloat and lost packets. Please Please Help Im so desperate........................

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Nass86 1 Reputation point
    2021-01-15T13:47:06.933+00:00

    Just wanted to chime in and thank you guys for trying to resolve this. I've been looking for a forum to discuss this specific issue since November.

    I started Live streaming in recent months and bought an old used Lenovo Thinkpad W540 for Live Streaming because it has an Nvidia chip inside that has NVENC capabilities (one of the best ways to stream and take the load off the CPU).

    The interesting part about my perspective is that I bought a 2012 model which was updated with Windows update up to a point then not used for a couple of years so missed some windows updates.

    I did 2 live streams absolutely fine (8mb upload connection, doing a 4000kb/s live stream) and after the Windows update was forced upon me, I'm experiencing the same problems you are.

    The problem was caused by Windows Update as before this it worked perfectly fine.

    I'm now stuttering between 700kb/s and 1300kb/s. It sometimes starts at 2200kb/s for the first split second and then takes a dive from there. Doesn't matter which server I connect to.

    It's not the internet connection because:

    1) Macbook Pro works at full speed
    2) iMac the same
    3) iPhone the same

    Interestingly, if I use the iphone as a personal hotspot for the Windows laptop on 4G LTE, it goes blazingly fast - it is only the Ethernet and Wifi connectivity that is hampered.

    I find it interesting to note that someone mentioned they were connected by Microwave as I am connected in a village to a 5ghz wireless network across 1 or 2 km.

    I was wondering if the users chatting about this might be connected somewhere down the line with a network like mine and that this is to be factored in. That said, my ping is always 90-110 instead of the standard broadband numbers like 20-60 I've often seen and it always was this way when the live stream was working.

    I'm amazed at the depth of technical knowledge in this forum and stumbled on this by googling as this has been baffling me and I've seen one or two other forums opening up discussions but without this level of technical knowledge.

    I'm just hopeful that a following Windows update will fix it as I cannot rewind to 2-3 years ago's Windows version and turn off updates (if I could, I would as I bought this device solely for streaming).

    Any new ideas would be appreciated and I can run tests if anyone wants me to do something to help.

    Nasser, Cyprus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.