Not sure what this email means, but it says someone added me to a Microsoft Group???

Kallar 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T21:42:33.6466667+00:00

I received this email telling me that someone added me to a group. I don't use outlook and I don't use groups.

Can I get out of it? There is a leave group link at the very bottom, but I'm afraid to use it if this is a spammer.

Can others in this group mess up my Microsoft 365 subscription or files, access things on my system?

Can anyone help me?

User's image

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For business
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chris-D 1,595 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T21:57:42.6766667+00:00

    Hi Kallar,

    Thank you for sharing the details of your situation and the screenshot.

    The message you received when following the previous instructions indicates that your Microsoft account does not currently have an Outlook.com mailbox. Therefore, the steps for leaving a group through Outlook.com do not apply in your case. You do not need to create an Outlook.com email address or alias simply to deal with this unexpected group message.

    Since you do not recognize the person who added you or the group itself, I recommend that you avoid clicking the Leave group link or any other links in the email. Instead, please use the reporting options provided by your current email service to mark the message as Phishing or Junk, block the sender if possible, and then delete the message.

    Being added to a group by itself does not allow other group members to access your Microsoft 365 subscription, computer, personal OneDrive files, or other files on your system. Group members would only have access to content specifically shared within that group. Please do not upload or share any files through links in the message.

    If you later confirm through a separate and trusted communication method that the sender is legitimate, you can ask the group owner to remove your email address from the group.

    I hope this clarifies the situation and helps you handle the message safely. Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to share them in the comment below. I'm very happy to help.  


    If the answer is helpful, please click 'Yes' and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable email notifications if you want to receive email notifications related to this topic.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Kallar 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T21:47:00.22+00:00

    I tried the instructions above, but I get this message:

    Add an email

    You need to create an Outlook.com email address to continue. We'll add it to your account as an alias. Learn more about account aliases.

    The email I received wasn't sent to an Outlook address, I don't have one and I don't want to create one.

    So, the question remains. Thanks for any help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. AI answer

    2026-09-29T21:42:48.7433333+00:00

    Yes — a member can be removed from a Microsoft Group, and a member can also leave it.

    A Microsoft Group gives members access to the group mailbox and group calendar. If the group is connected to a work or school account using a qualifying Microsoft 365 subscription, members can also get access to a OneNote notebook and team site.

    If the email is legitimate, the welcome message normally tells who added the member and includes a link to leave the group. That message may also sometimes be found in Junk or Spam.

    A safer path than clicking links in the email is to sign in directly to Outlook on the web or new Outlook and leave the group there:

    1. Select Groups from the navigation bar.
    2. Select the group.
    3. Open Group Settings.
    4. Select Leave Group.

    For Outlook.com, the steps are:

    1. Select the group.
    2. Select the group name to open the group card.
    3. Go to the Member tab.
    4. Select the X next to the account to remove it from the group.

    Important: if the account is the last group owner and leaves, the other members are notified and the group’s data and content are deleted in 30 days.

    The provided material does not state that other group members can access the local system. It only states that group membership provides access to group resources such as the group mailbox, calendar, and in some cases a OneNote notebook and team site.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.