Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
OK I haave a Gmail app pwd now. What do I do with it ? How does it make outlook 2007 work ?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I get error messages saying my server does not support that encryption method( or similar words). Always used to work fine now it suddenly stopped a few days ago. Tried changing from pop to imap- no difference.
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
OK I haave a Gmail app pwd now. What do I do with it ? How does it make outlook 2007 work ?
What is an app specific pwd in Gmail ? Will that fix the problem ?
Hello, I’m Virginia.
Unfortunately Office 2007 doesn’t support the new OAUTH 2.0 authentication method so your options are to either create an app specific password via your Google account which is a less secure option or use a newer email client like Outlook mail app, Outlook.com, Outlook from Office 365 or Thunderbird which does support the new protocol.
AI answer
Outlook 2007 no longer supports Modern Authentication for Outlook.com, and older Outlook clients that do not support Modern Authentication must be upgraded to continue syncing. The documented unsupported versions include Outlook 2007.
For Gmail specifically, current connection issues are commonly tied to Google sign-in/authorization and cached OAuth credentials in Classic Outlook. If the account is Gmail, the supported checks are:
imap.gmail.com, SSL, port 993smtp.gmail.com, SSL port 465 or TLS/STARTTLS port 587