Adding a premium planner to a channel that is not shared to the team

Jenny G 20 Reputation points
2026-09-28T05:53:34.57+00:00

I have created a separate channel within a private Team where I nominate only certain people have access to the documentation. I want to duplicate into that channel a premium plan that I have set up in another Team. I can duplicate the planner to the Team but when I then try to add the plan to the second channel that is not shared to all team members I am unable to see the Plan that has been shared. How do I fix this please?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams and channels | Private channels
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hin Vo 865 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-28T06:57:14.6533333+00:00

Hi @Jenny G

Based on my research, it looks like only Basic Plans are currently supported in Teams Private and Shared Channels, while Premium Planner capabilities will be added at a later date. If the plan you're trying to add is a Premium Plan and the destination is a Private Channel, this may explain why it does not appear when you attempt to add it to the channel.User's image You can find more information in MC1262590 - Planner tab support for Shared and Private Channels in Microsoft Teams

This link is shared by community members for your convenience. It points to a third-party site that is not managed or verified by Microsoft. I can’t guarantee the quality, safety, or suitability of any content or software found there. Please review carefully and make sure you understand any potential risks before using it. 
Please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your request. If you have any additional concerns, feel free to comment below. I would be more than happy to assist. 

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

2 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jenny G 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T05:57:21.8733333+00:00

    The AI answer did not solve my problem. Does anyone know if Microsoft will make sharing Plans on private channels available?

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-09-28T05:53:48.2233333+00:00

    Planner tabs are supported in standard channels. If the channel is a private channel or shared channel, the Planner tab may not appear or the plan may not be available to add there.

    What is happening in this case:

    1. The premium plan can be copied and linked to the destination Team’s Microsoft 365 group.
    2. Teams only lists plans that are shared with the same Team or the Microsoft 365 group associated with that Team.
    3. Even after that, adding Planner is managed from Teams, and support described here is for standard channels.

    What to do:

    1. In the destination Team, confirm the target channel type.
    2. If it is a private channel, use a standard channel if a Planner tab is required.
    3. In that standard channel, select Add a tab > Apps > Planner > Add an existing plan or create a new one.
    4. If the premium plan still does not appear, make sure it has been linked to the Microsoft 365 group behind the destination Team. For premium plans, the supported flow is to copy the plan, open the copied plan, use Group members > Add to a group, select the target Team’s Microsoft 365 group, and then add it as a tab in Teams.

    Important limitation:

    • If the requirement is specifically to add the premium Planner plan inside a private channel that is not shared to all team members, the provided guidance does not describe a supported fix for that scenario. The available guidance points to using a standard channel instead.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.