Windows 11 25H2 26200.8037 — KB5079473 repeatedly fails after in-place repair

NMcG 0 Reputation points
2026-09-27T16:34:41.6233333+00:00

Windows 11 25H2 26200.8037 — KB5079473 fails with 0x800705B9 /

0x80240069 despite in-place repair

I am looking for advice from anyone who has encountered this particular

Windows servicing problem.

SYSTEM

  • Windows 11 Home
  • Version 25H2
  • OS Build 26200.8037
  • Intel i9-14900
  • 64 GB RAM
  • ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI
  • Scan 3XS Computer Music PC
  • RTX 4060

The PC is currently stable and has very little third-party software

installed.

PROBLEM

KB5079473 repeatedly fails to install.

I have experienced:

  • Windows Update error 0x800705B9
  • Windows Update error 0x80240069
  • On one attempt the update reached approximately 18%, after which the entire Windows desktop became unresponsive. Mouse and keyboard stopped responding and the PC required a forced shutdown.
  • Subsequent attempts failed without another freeze.

DIAGNOSTICS ALREADY COMPLETED

  • DISM /CheckHealth — no component-store corruption reported
  • DISM /ScanHealth — failed with 0x800705B9, reporting that Windows was unable to parse requested XML data
  • DISM /RestoreHealth — failed with 0x800706BE / Error 1726
  • /RestoreHealth was also attempted using a matching Windows 11 25H2 WIM extracted from official installation media; this also failed with Error 1726
  • SFC /scannow — stopped at approximately 30% with Windows Resource Protection unable to perform the requested operation
  • CHKDSK — completed successfully; NTFS volume reported clean
  • Windows Update components were reset, including SoftwareDistribution and catroot2, without resolving the problem

MANUAL INSTALLATION

I downloaded the x64 KB5079473 MSU from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

DISM processed the package successfully but did not install it.

I then placed the documented checkpoint package KB5043080 and KB5079473

together and attempted to add them with DISM.

That produced:

  • 0x80070228
  • DISM Error 552

The DISM log showed both component databases being loaded, but

subsequently treated the packages as not applicable.

INTERESTING CBS FINDING

The most interesting evidence is in CBS.log.

During servicing, CBS reports:

Unable to resolve Package: @Foundation

with:

HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1168)

i.e. ERROR_NOT_FOUND / 0x80070490.

However, this does not appear to mean that the Foundation package is

actually missing.

I independently checked the system and found:

Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package_(31bf3856ad364e35)amd64~~10.0.26100.1

registered under:

HKLMBased Servicing

and DISM reports the Foundation package as:

Installed | Foundation

So the package appears to exist and be registered, while CBS is

nevertheless unable to resolve the internal @Foundation reference during

servicing.

IN-PLACE REPAIR

I also performed an official Windows 11 25H2 in-place repair using the

same 26200.8037 ISO.

Setup was run from within Windows with:

Keep personal files and apps

The repair completed successfully.

Afterward the machine remained on:

26200.8037

but KB5079473 still failed.

This seems significant because the in-place repair did not resolve the

servicing problem.

QUESTION

Has anyone encountered this combination of:

  • Windows 11 25H2
  • build 26200.8037
  • KB5079473
  • KB5043080 reported as not applicable
  • DISM servicing failures
  • CBS reporting Unable to resolve Package: @Foundation
  • ERROR_NOT_FOUND (0x80070490)
  • and an in-place repair that completes successfully but does not correct the servicing problem?

In particular, I would like to know whether @Foundation is a known

CBS/package-store issue in 25H2, or whether there is another supported

way of diagnosing the component/package registration without performing

another Windows reinstall.

The PC is currently stable, so I am deliberately leaving the failed

update alone rather than repeatedly retrying it.

I have seen other Microsoft Q&A reports of KB5079473 failing on 25H2 /

26200.8037, including reports involving the KB5043080 checkpoint, so I

am particularly interested in whether this is a recognised variant of

the broader KB5079473 servicing problem.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

12 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. NMcG 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T09:14:49.0333333+00:00

    I completed the clean-boot test as requested. After restarting with all non-Microsoft services and startup items disabled, I ran:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    It again failed with Error 1726, this time at 54.7%.

    This is essentially the same result as normal startup, where it failed at 55.2%.

    I did not have Process Monitor running during this particular attempt. I will capture a complete ProcMon trace during another clean-boot RestoreHealth attempt if required.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. NMcG 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T08:48:17.24+00:00

    Restore Health failed

    C:\Windows\System32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

    Version: 10.0.26100.5074

    Image Version: 10.0.26200.8037

    [===========================55.2% ]

    Error: 1726

    The remote procedure call failed.

    The DISM log file can be found at https://1drv.ms/u/c/7308677839a9f7c7/IQASgFlUqtRKQ5p4C47TfSB1Af-RgndT4wQQs1gxO9_sKo0?e=Jj2NZ2

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. NMcG 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T08:23:46.73+00:00

    I have just rerun DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth after installing SSU 26100.9539 and restarting Windows.

    This time the operation completed successfully at 100%.

    The previous RestoreHealth attempt, before installing the SSU, failed with Error 1726. The successful result occurred after the SSU installation and reboot.

    I therefore did not re run the ProcMon trace, since RestoreHealth is now completing successfully and i assume is the objective you were looking for?

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. NMcG 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T08:16:32.23+00:00

    I realised that in my previous ProcMon capture I stopped the trace after approximately two minutes rather than waiting for DISM /RestoreHealth itself to complete. I therefore may not have captured the events immediately preceding the 1726 failure.

    Apologies for that. I will repeat the capture and leave Process Monitor running until RestoreHealth actually returns the 1726 error, then provide the new PML together with the current CBS.log.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. NMcG 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T08:10:46.6166667+00:00

    I have completed the ProcMon trace as requested.

    I ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth while capturing the activity with Process Monitor for approximately two minutes, then stopped the trace and saved the ProcMon log.

    I have also included the latest CBS.log.

    The combined ZIP is available here:

    ProcMon_CBS ZIP

    For reference, the RestoreHealth command again failed with:

    Error: 1726 — The remote procedure call failed.

    The SSU 26100.9539 had installed successfully and Windows was restarted before this test.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.