Please don't retire Publisher

Stephanie B 5 Reputation points
2026-09-21T00:41:48.0466667+00:00

I am very disappointed that Microsoft is retiring Publisher in October 2026.

I use Microsoft Publisher frequently for creating custom, print-ready materials, and I have not found another Microsoft program that provides the same functionality and ease of use. In particular, I rely on Publisher for creating invitations, games, signs, cards, labels, decorations, and other personalized materials where precise placement of text, graphics, shapes, and images is important.

For example, I am currently using Publisher extensively to create materials for a family bridal shower happening at the end of October, including invitations, games, signage, cards, and other decorations. Publisher makes it easy to create exactly what I envision and to control the layout and design down to the smallest detail. I can move and layer objects freely, create custom page sizes, duplicate elements, align everything precisely, and prepare materials for printing without having to fight the limitations of a word-processing program.

I understand that Microsoft is encouraging users to move to other Microsoft 365 applications, but I do not believe Word or PowerPoint are true replacements for Publisher. They may be useful for some of the same tasks, but they do not provide the same dedicated desktop-publishing experience and workflow that long-time Publisher users depend on.

I have invested years in learning Publisher and building a workflow around it. Retiring it without providing a true equivalent is extremely frustrating for users like me who use it regularly and rely on it for personal projects, events, and creative work.

I strongly encourage Microsoft to reconsider retiring Publisher or, at a minimum, don't provide support, but still allow us to use it and have access to the files! 

Microsoft 365 and Office | Publisher | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Zahid Barrera Ramirez 385 Reputation points
    2026-09-21T01:45:53.0633333+00:00

    Hi @Stephanie B

    I completely understand the concern, especially for users who rely on Publisher for precise desktop-publishing work rather than simple document creation.

    Word and PowerPoint can cover some Publisher scenarios, but they are not a direct replacement for workflows that depend on free object placement, custom page sizes, layered graphics, print layouts, labels, cards, invitations, and similar projects.

    One important clarification about October 2026:

    If you use Publisher through Microsoft 365, Microsoft states that Publisher will no longer be available after October 1, 2026, and Microsoft 365 subscribers will no longer be able to open or edit .pub files in Publisher.

    If you own a perpetual version of Publisher, Microsoft states that you can continue to install and use it after support ends, although it will no longer receive updates or technical support.

    So if your main concern is continued access to existing .pub files, the type of Publisher license you own matters.

    Microsoft is also recommending that users begin converting important Publisher files before the retirement date. PDF is the safest option for preserving the final layout, while conversion to Word may allow editing but can change complex page layouts.

    I agree that this is not equivalent to having a true Publisher replacement, especially for users with years of existing .pub files and established print workflows.

    For anyone with a large Publisher archive, I would recommend starting an inventory of .pub files now and converting the most important documents to PDF or another editable format before October 2026.

    Your feedback is also worth submitting through Microsoft’s official feedback channels, because Microsoft Q&A contributors cannot change the Publisher retirement decision.

    If this answer was helpful, please consider marking it as helpful or accepting it as the answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.