Windows 11 - Error "The network is currently mapped using different user name and password" but it does not exist anywhere on my computer

Theresa 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T00:28:05.38+00:00

When trying to map a network drive to connect to my Research Data Server the error message pops up that "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect....first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share". However there are no existing mappings to be disconnected, I have tried to find the supposedly previously mapped drive in Powershell as well as just in file explorer, but I cannot find anything except the local hard drive(C:). Does any one have any idea how I can find and delete the existing mapping if I cannot find any evidence that it exists?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T01:01:49.37+00:00

    Hi,

    Check the Control Panel > Credential Manager under the Web and Windows tabs.

    See if the entry is there; you can delete it, or create a new one and test it.

    Please consider rating the question (accepting the answer or not) and visiting the Microsoft Q&A community if you have further questions.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.