How to remove myself from family group without parental consent?

Ollie Monroe Baker 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T18:54:53.0766667+00:00

Before you tell me to just ask my parents, I can't. The leader of the thing no longer lives in my state and is not in the best headspace. I am not quite old enough to leave myself. I don't want to create a new account because I have things that costed a lot of money on this account that I'd rather not have to buy again. Can I contact support and have them remove me?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Norah-L 11,410 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-21T04:28:59.5833333+00:00

    Hello Ollie Monroe Baker,

    Because your account is still below the statutory age, I'm afraid you cannot remove yourself from the Microsoft family group. Only the adult who originally granted consent can remove that consent, and then a family organizer can remove your account.

    I recommend trying the following:

    Ask another appropriate parent or legal guardian to help recover the original adult account through the Microsoft account recovery form. After access is restored, the adult can open Manage permissions, remove consent, and then remove your account at Microsoft Family Safety.

    If recovering or contacting that adult is genuinely impossible, you can try contacting Microsoft Support. Explain that the consenting adult is unreachable and ask whether the appropriate account-safety team can review the situation and advise you on the available options.

    Please note that Support may investigate the account, but they cannot bypass age restrictions or account ownership verification requirements.

    Here's how to reach out to the Microsoft Support Team (live chat):

    1.  Go to: https://support.microsoft.com/home/contact
    2. In the search box, enter a short description of your issue, then choose "Get Help"
    3. Scroll down and select Sign in to contact support (please sign in using a personal Microsoft account). Then follow the on-screen prompts to reach Support Team.

    Tips:

    • Support chat availability may vary by country/region, product, and support hours. If you can't get in touch with a chat agent right away, trying again later or at a different time may help.
    • If the support page directs you to the automated assistant, type “I need a live agent” in the chat.

    Thank you so much for your patience!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.