- Check the installed edition first: Start > Settings > System > Activation. If the device was licensed for Windows 11 Home, the installed edition must also be Windows 11 Home. A license will not activate a different edition.
- If Activation shows Windows is not activated, use the built-in troubleshooter:
- Start > Settings > System > Troubleshoot
- The Troubleshoot option is available only while Windows is not activated.
- Sign in as an administrator.
- Make sure the PC is connected to the internet.
- If the PC had a digital license before reinstalling, reactivation is more reliable when the digital license is linked to the Microsoft account used on the device.
- If a significant hardware change happened, especially a motherboard replacement, Windows may no longer find a matching license. In that case:
- Go to Start > Settings > System > Activation > Change product key
- Enter the 25-character key if one was provided with the PC or on a COA card/sticker
- If the motherboard was replaced by the original manufacturer, the PC should usually reactivate automatically
- If Windows was reinstalled, the reinstalled edition must match the original license. For example, if the device is licensed for Home, reinstall Windows Home again.
- If the troubleshooter still says to purchase Windows and there is no product key available, the remaining supported path is to contact support. For OEM/prebuilt systems, the seller or manufacturer may also have a record of the original Windows key.
I had to reinstall windows 11 home and not I cannot activate windows
Activation keeps tell me to purchase windows. This is a machine I purchased online. It was running windows. I had to reinstall windows for gaming reasons. Now I get "Activate Windows" and the troubleshooter says purchase windows
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
2 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
AI answer
2026-09-20T14:22:05.4066667+00:00
AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information. -
DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor2026-09-20T14:58:57.3366667+00:00 1
I presume Windows was pre-installed on the PC you purchased online, it is not a separately purchased retail Windows licence, is that correct?
If so, did the retailer provide you with a product key, possibly on the receipt for the PC or on a COA label on the back case of the PC.
2
I need to check if there is a pre-installed OEM licence on the PC.
Download the free ShowKeyPlus app from the Microsoft Store.
Please provide a screenshot of that app window and please hide any product key in the screenshot.