I'm having trouble activating Windows 11 Home after a clean installation on a PC that has an existing Windows digital license.
I still have the previous Windows 10 installation on another drive on the same physical PC. I booted it and confirmed:
Windows 10 Home is activated.
slmgr /dlv reports OEM:DM.
slmgr /ato succeeds.
Settings → Activation says: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."
This is the same Microsoft account I'm using with Windows 11.
The motherboard and hardware have not been changed.
I then clean-installed Windows 11 Home. During setup, I signed in with the same Microsoft account as soon as possible and selected "I don't have a product key". I selected Windows 11 Home when prompted.
However, after installation Windows 11 is not activated and reports:
0xC004F213 — Windows reported that no product key was found on your device.
slmgr /dlv on Windows 11 reports the RETAIL channel, with different licensing IDs from the Windows 10 installation.
I also tried the Microsoft Product Activation Portal. After entering the Installation ID correctly multiple times, it eventually reports:
"Unfortunately, we cannot complete the transaction as our records do not recognize this as a valid product."
The Activation Troubleshooter also does not resolve the issue.
Since Windows 10 on the same hardware is currently activated with a digital license explicitly linked to my Microsoft account, I'm wondering why the Windows 11 Home installation is not being recognized.
Is there anything else I can check locally, or does this indicate a problem with Microsoft's activation/digital-license records that requires intervention on Microsoft's side?
I would prefer not to purchase another license, since the existing digital license is still active on this same PC.