Reinstalled Windows 11 Pro Activation Failed. No Hardware Changes.

Tony B 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T06:29:48.2633333+00:00

I decided to reinstall Windows 11 Pro on my  computer that has a digital licence activated and linked to my Microsoft account. No hardware was changed when I reinstalled Windows. After the fresh Windows 11 reinstallation from usb, my computer now says it is not activated. So I click on the troubleshooting button and still my computer cannot be activated. Then I click on "list other devices I can use to activate" and I get the error that no other devices can be used to activate Windows 11 Pro on this computer. How is it possible that my Windows 11 Pro is fully activated before the reinstall and after, with no hardware changes, I lose activation status and cannot reactivate the computer?

Lucky for me, I backed up my whole system and was able to restore and get back my activation.

Just as a test, I tried reinstalling Windows 11 Pro on my other computer and no issues with activation.

Can anyone help me to reactivate my Windows 11 Pro?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-20T06:30:12.1233333+00:00

    If the device had a digital license and no hardware changed, the most common causes after a clean reinstall are:

    1. The reinstalled edition does not match the license.
      • Check Start > Settings > System > About and confirm the installed edition is Windows 11 Pro.
      • Windows must be reinstalled with the same edition that the license is for. If the device was licensed for Pro, reinstalling Home will not activate Pro automatically.
    2. The reinstall was done before confirming the license state.
      • On the original installation, the device should show Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account in Start > Settings > System > Activation.
      • That confirms both activation and account linkage before reinstall.
    3. Activation needs to complete online.
      • Windows activation requires an internet connection.
      • After reinstall, if prompted for a key during setup, select I don't have a product key. Windows should activate online after installation completes, as long as the same edition was installed.
    4. The Activation troubleshooter should be run from the current installation.
      • Go to Start > Settings > System > Troubleshoot.
      • This option is available only while Windows is not activated, and it requires administrator sign-in.
    5. If activation still fails, enter the product key if one exists.
      • Go to Start > Settings > System > Activation > Change product key.
      • If the license is digital-only, this step may not apply.
    6. If the issue persists even with the correct edition, internet access, and troubleshooter, use Microsoft support.
      • The documented next step when the troubleshooter does not resolve activation is to contact customer support.

    For future reinstalls on the same device:

    • Confirm activation first in Settings > System > Activation.
    • Confirm the Microsoft account is linked to the digital license.
    • Reinstall the exact same edition.
    • During setup, choose I don't have a product key.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T07:04:44.47+00:00

    1

    Where did you get your Windows 11 Pro licence was that pre-installed on the PC or did you purchase a full retail Windows licence from Microsoft or from a 3rd party retailer?

    Or is your Windows licence based on a previous Windows 7 or 8 licence?

    2

    Click your Start Button, type cmd then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

    Run or paste this command and hit Enter:

    slmgr.vbs /dlv

    Please post a screenshot of the resulting dialog

    3

    Download the free ShowKeyPlus app from the Microsoft Store.

    Please provide a screenshot of that app window and please hide your product key in the screenshot.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.