Not able to activate Windows 11 pro after changing motherboard

Sanjith 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T05:15:13.63+00:00

Hi

I had purchased Windows 11 Pro in 2021, and recently changed the motherboard of my laptop. However, I didn't link the device to my Microsoft account before the hardware change and now I am unable to reactivate Windows 11 Pro that I had purchased digitally (and hence no product key). How to solve this issue?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T05:50:23.8433333+00:00

    The only native method provided to reactivate Windows after a hardware change is to use the Troubleshoot button in the Activation settings, and select 'I changed my hardware', if you did not link your device to your Microsoft account, that process will not work.

    Open Command Prompt as administrator and run this command to force your system to try to contact the activation servers and activate Windows.

    slmgr /ato

    If that process is not successful, then because your old hardware was never linked to your account, you will need to contact Microsoft Support directly to ask them to reactivate your Windows licence for you.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.