Outlook Access Denied

Shylea Ulrick 20 Reputation points
2026-09-20T03:44:43.3333333+00:00

I have not been able to access Outlook since Thursday. Access denied comes up and wants me to sign in, which I do, and the problem does not get resolved. I can't access support through Outlook because it says I'm using a free account, which I'm not. I have a 365 subsciption.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hornblower409 15,950 Reputation points
2026-09-20T23:11:42.32+00:00

@Shylea Ulrick said

I can't access support through Outlook because it says I'm using a free account, which I'm not. I have a 365 subsciption.

If you have a Qualified MS 365 Subscription, try this route to Support.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/support

If that option is not available to you - Are you using the Classic Outlook In-App Support? From the main menu do Help -> Contact Support, and that is telling you that you can't access support? If so, some details please or a screen shot of the message you are getting.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-20T03:44:56.9433333+00:00

    For an Outlook.com or Microsoft 365 account that keeps showing Access denied and repeatedly asks to sign in, the supported steps are:

    1. Confirm the account works in a browser first
      • Try signing in to Outlook on the web.
      • If the mailbox is Outlook.com/Hotmail/Live/MSN, use the Microsoft account sign-in page or the Outlook.com troubleshooter.
      • If browser sign-in fails, fix the account sign-in issue first.
    2. Check whether this is the known Outlook sign-in issue
      • If Outlook shows: “You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead.”
      • This issue is fixed in Version 2303 Build 16227.20202 and higher.
      • Update Outlook to a build at or above that version.
    3. If Outlook keeps prompting for sign-in in New Outlook or account-connected Outlook flows
      • Remove and add the account again:
        • Settings > Accounts > Your accounts
        • Select Manage for the affected account, remove it, then add it again.
    4. Repair or reset the Outlook app if the sign-in loop continues
      • Go to Windows Settings > Apps > Installed apps > Outlook (new) > Advanced options.
      • Try Repair first.
      • If that does not help, use Reset, then open Outlook and add the account again.
    5. If the account is a Microsoft personal account and mobile sign-in is also affected
      • Use the Microsoft sign-in helper tool to identify account problems.
    6. If Outlook mobile shows “Access Denied: Login Error”
      • That means the account has been denied access to Outlook Mobile.
      • In that case, the documented action is to contact the IT administrator.

    Because the account has a Microsoft 365 subscription but Outlook is identifying it incorrectly during support access, the most relevant immediate checks are:

    • verify web sign-in works,
    • update Outlook to the fixed build or later,
    • then repair/reset and re-add the account.

    If Outlook on the web works but the desktop app still fails after those steps, the issue is with the local Outlook app sign-in state rather than the mailbox itself.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. GsN5034 - IA 77,820 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T06:51:37.1333333+00:00

    Hello,

    May I please know if you can sign in with your Personal Microsoft account on the Outlook.com website?

    Open an incognito tab and sign in with your Microsoft account here -

    https://outlook.live.com/

    See if you can View/Send or receive emails on the web.


    If you are using the New Outlook app and getting the 'Access denied' error, here's what you can try first:

    1. Go to Outlook email app settings.
    2. Select Accounts > Your Accounts > Manage.
    3. Scroll down and select Remove account from Outlook.
    4. Once deleted, sign in with your Microsoft account again.
    5. See whether you can send or receive emails from the Outlook app.

    Let me know if you still need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.