Copilot isn't available in your region.

Karen 0 Reputation points
2026-09-20T00:29:43.0766667+00:00

My problem is that I have a Microsoft 365 Premium personal subscription (HK$1,580.00/year) in Hong Kong, and so far Copilot has worked well in Office apps on my MacBook. Yet, after I went to Shenzhen for a day and back to Hong Kong, I found that I could no longer use Copilot in the Word app with the message "Copilot isn't available in your region." However, I can use Copilot in Excel and PowerPoint.

User's image

User's image

User's image

I did try asking for help via Copilot or support; the following are the steps I tried already:

  1. Tested words online with Copilot to see whether this function is really disabled, but I found that Copilot works well online.
  2. Tried Log in / refresh my subscription / delete the Office app and reinstall / check that they are the latest versions / or even follow the suggested step to use the Uninstall the License Removal Tool and log in again.
  3. Reset my MacBook settings "Language & Region" to US and restart. Now the region is Hong Kong.
  4. No Vpn is using.

My practice is that I travel to China some days but mostly in Hong Kong, so how can I get my Copilot function back in the Word app?

Thanks a lot.......... Frustrated.........

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ian-T 12,840 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-20T07:04:56.4+00:00

    Hi @Karen

    Hong Kong is not excluded from Copilot availability, so changing the Mac region should not be necessary. Microsoft lists China as unsupported but specifically excludes Hong Kong from that restriction.

    Since Copilot works in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word for the web, your subscription appears active. Please check these Word-specific items:

    1. In Word, select Word > Preferences > Privacy.
    2. Confirm Experiences that analyze your content and All connected experiences are enabled.
    3. In File > Open, verify that Word is signed in with the Microsoft account that owns the Microsoft 365 Premium subscription.
    4. Sign out of any additional Microsoft accounts in Word, restart the Mac, and sign back in only with the subscription owner account.

    Microsoft 365 Premium includes Copilot in the Word desktop app, but the AI benefits are available only to the subscription owner.

    Thank you for your time and please let me know if there's any updates

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.