I think I have been scammed. Is 1-800-857-9181 a legitimate number for Microsoft tech support?

Marshall Hall 0 Reputation points
2026-09-19T23:01:00.0533333+00:00

I was searching online how to fix issue with my printer not recognizing my scanner. A tech came on & started going through my computer saying I had an infected ip address. He was to fix it but wanted to charge $199.00. I told him I didn’t understand why I had to pay. I had to disconnect because I had company so he said he’d call back. I cannot use my computer now as it does not connect to internet or printer. Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Brian Tillman 27,215 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-20T00:27:19.2666667+00:00

    Hi. I'm Brian and I'll try to help.

    That number does not appear to be owned by Microsoft. The resources I have state that it doesn't have a registered owner and that it's located near where Oklahoma and Kansas meet.

    There's no such thing an "an infected IP address." IP addresses are just addresses. They can't be infected any more than your street address can be infected.

    If you allowed someone to paw through your computer, it's time to back up your important data and reinstall Windows from scratch or from the Windows Recovery Environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.