Can't add my custom domain to Azure Static Web App

Alejo Millo 25 Reputation points
2026-09-19T03:05:18.9433333+00:00

Hello,

I have a custom domain purchased on an external provider and moved it to Cloudflare for DNS management. I am now trying to add this custom domain to my Azure Static Web App but I am getting "The custom domain requested is invalid." error message for both CNAME and TXT record types. The domain is "maña.com.ar¨.

User's image

How can I solve this? Our whole branding is based on this name so we cannot just change the domain.

Thanks,

Azure Static Web Apps
Azure Static Web Apps

An Azure service that provides streamlined full-stack web app development.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. SHOUMIK CHAKRAVARTY 910 Reputation points
    2026-09-19T04:34:18.2866667+00:00

    Hello @Alejo Millo - The ñ is the problem. DNS doesn't carry non-ASCII characters, so your domain has to be entered as its punycode form:

    maña.com.ar  ->  xn--maa-8ma.com.ar
    

    That's also why both CNAME and TXT gave the same error. The name was being rejected before any DNS lookup, so the record type was never the issue.

    You can confirm it in Cloudflare, which will already be showing the zone as xn--maa-8ma.com.ar.

    And you can keep the root domain rather than moving to www. Set up an apex domain in Azure Static Web Apps covers it, and Cloudflare's CNAME flattening is one of the supported routes.

    Help make this community better for everyone: if this answer resolved your issue, please accept it or leave an upvote. If not, share more details in a comment so we can continue the discussion and find the right solution.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. TP 163.7K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-19T04:36:11.7333333+00:00

    Hi,

    Unfortunately Azure Static Web App does not support Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in my experience. In other words, the ñ in your domain name is causing the issue. Even if you convert your domain to Punycode it won't work. I wish I had better answer for you, but at least now you know why it is failing.

    Alternatives would be to host your site on a VM and manage your own certificate(s), or use a static site hosting service that supports IDNs.

    -TP

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.