Azure Virtual Desktop: Reconnection issues due to stale session in affected user profile

Kevin-5965 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T20:04:12.16+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing an issue with Azure Virtual Desktop where, after an initial successful connection, I cannot reconnect to the same session without manually ending the previous session. The reconnect attempt times out with an 'error connecting' message. This problem affects only one user and occurs on a specific Windows profile, while other profiles and the web version work fine.

Environment

Azure Virtual Desktop; Windows session host/virtual machine; region not specified

What I've already tried

I have tried rebooting the machine and manually ending lingering sessions via Task Manager, but the issue persists only in the affected user's Windows profile. The problem does not occur with a new profile or on other devices using the same credentials.

Current status

I am seeking guidance on profile-specific troubleshooting steps to resolve the reconnect failure, or confirmation if further escalation is necessary.

Azure Virtual Desktop
Azure Virtual Desktop

A Microsoft desktop and app virtualization service that runs on Azure. Previously known as Windows Virtual Desktop.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jose Benjamin Solis Nolasco 12,606 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-19T00:01:22.97+00:00

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A,

     @Kevin-5965 I hope you are doing well,

     Since the issue occurs only with one Windows profile, while a new profile and the same credentials work correctly, this points more toward a profile/session-state issue than an Azure Virtual Desktop host or network issue.

    I would recommend the following:

    1. Test the affected user with a completely new Windows profile on the same session host. If reconnection works consistently, this further isolates the issue to the original profile.
    2. Check and remove any stale AVD/RDP-related session state or cached credentials associated with the affected profile, then sign in again.
    3. Review the Windows Event Viewer on the session host under:
      • Applications and Services Logs → Microsoft → Windows → TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager
        • Applications and Services Logs → Microsoft → Windows → TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
        1. If the user profile is managed through FSLogix, also check the FSLogix logs under C:\ProgramData\FSLogix\Logs for profile attach/detach or locking errors.
        2. If the problem follows the profile to another session host, consider recreating the affected profile after preserving the required user data and settings.

    Because other profiles and the web client work correctly, I would first focus on the affected Windows profile and its session/profile state rather than repeatedly rebooting the VM.

    For reference:

    If this answer helped clarify the platform capabilities and save you troubleshooting time, please consider marking it as Accepted. This helps others in the community find similar solutions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.