Restrict Editing but allow Track Changes

Gonzales 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T17:48:43.0866667+00:00

This was a question and thread back in 2019. I'm wondering if this is still not an option. The original question was the following:

" I have created a Word doc in Word 365, with limit formatting to a selection of styles. For editing restriction, I want users to freely edit a part of the document, that's why I choose 'No changes (Read only)', and select a part of the document for Exceptions (freely edit). But when I do this, it disables the “track changes” option – which I do not want. I want users to have the ability to track their changes in the sections that they are allowed to edit.

Do you have any solutions for it?"

The response was basically that the track option is disabled and you have to choose either editing restrictions or tracking changes. You can't have both in the same document. Is this still the case?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-18T18:12:54.6666667+00:00

    Instead of the editing restrictions, you can use grouped content controls as suggested by Jay Freedman in the thread you linked to (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/4974081/restrict-editing-but-allow-track-changes-word-365 ).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.