Excel read only issue

CHARLES TOBIN 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T16:28:44.8033333+00:00

I have a current up to date Microsoft subscription that I use on 2 computers. One of the computers is having an issue where my excel spreadsheets are read only and I can't figure out how to remove the read only. I have no issues with this on the other computer.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Bulldog 4,650 Reputation points
    2026-09-18T19:26:34.66+00:00

    Both computers must be signed in to the Microsoft account that paid for the subscription.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. TaoLi 113.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T17:33:43.7466667+00:00

    Hi

    On the affected computer, open Excel > File > Account and check whether it shows “Unlicensed Product” or “Activation Required.” If it does, sign out, close all Office apps, then reopen Excel and sign in with the Microsoft account linked to your subscription.

    If it already shows as activated, can you create and edit a new blank workbook? Please also share a screenshot of the read-only message, hiding any personal details, so I can narrow this down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.