I can access my outlook account but I can't get into my hotmail account to view my emails.

Sally Chapman 0 Reputation points
2026-09-18T13:18:36.0766667+00:00

I am able to get into my outlook account but when I try to sign into to my hotmail emails I get this error message below. It was synched with my gmail account on my phone but it is now asking me to sign in again and when I try to sign it says there is a problem with account set up that my username or password is incorrect - I have changed the password. It gives some synch options but I don't understand the options I am given. SSL/TLS , SSL/TLS (accept all certificates) , STARTTLS, STARTTLS (accept all certificates) I don't know what any of this means - can someone help? Sally

UTC Date: [Moderator's note: PII removed] Client Id: [Moderator's note: PII removed] Session Id: [Moderator's note: PII removed] Client Version: 20260911013.04 BootResult: fail Back Filled Errors: None err: Error: 500 esrc: StartupData et: ServerError estack: Error: 500 at Object.w [as createStatusErrorMessage] (https://res.public.onecdn.static.microsoft/owamail/hashed-v1/scripts/owa.mailindex.f5293cea.js:1:806) at https://res.public.onecdn.static.microsoft/owamail/hashed-v1/scripts/owa.mailindex.f5293cea.js:1:189917 st: 500 efe: [Moderator's note: PII removed] reqid: [Moderator's note: PII removed] cv: [Moderator's note: PII removed]

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chloe-V 13,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-20T01:55:51.9033333+00:00

    Hi @Sally Chapman

    Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

    I’m sorry you’re having trouble accessing your Hotmail emails and syncing the account on your phone.

    Hotmail is now accessed through Outlook.com. Please sign out of the account currently open, use a private/incognito browser window, and sign in again with your full Hotmail email address. If the Error 500 message continues, clear your browser cache and cookies, try another browser, and check the Outlook.com service status.

    For the phone, please remove the Hotmail account and add it again using the Outlook.com or Microsoft account option rather than manual setup. This should open Microsoft’s secure sign-in page and update the saved password.

    If manual settings are required, use:

    • Incoming IMAP: outlook.office365.com, port 993, SSL/TLS
    • Outgoing SMTP: smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, STARTTLS
    • Username: your full Hotmail email address
    • Authentication: OAuth2/Modern Authentication, if available

    Please avoid the options marked accept all certificates, as these bypass normal certificate checks.

    If the web error remains after trying the steps above, please let us know whether it occurs in more than one browser.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.