How to gen Microsoft to use a voice call to my land line

Johnboy 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T23:23:27.3966667+00:00

I have a computer that I upgraded from Window 10 to windows 11. When I did that the computer changed my pin to access the computer. It keeps trying to text my home phone which is a land line which when I bought the computer I used because I had not yet bought a cell phone. I'm old. The email they made me get when I registered the computer I never used since I wished to keep my yahoo account active. I no longer have any idea what the password is for that account. How do I get Microsoft to either do a call to my home phone of record or send an email to my yahoo account so that I can access my computer.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. GsN5034 - IA 77,735 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T01:52:56.0933333+00:00

    Hello,

    You will have to replace the Security Verification method in your Microsoft account.

    That is, on the Verify Your Identity Screen, select "I don't have any of these" and follow the prompts to replace the Security Information.

    User's image

    Note - If you remove all of your previous security information and replace it with something new, your account will be put into a restricted state for 30 days.

    So, if you update your Security info, here are the two options available for you:

    1. If you have important files on the device, wait 30 days for the security information update to take effect. After the waiting period, reset your Microsoft account password and enter the verification code.
    2. If the files are not important and you have already backed them up, you can reset your PC to factory settings through the Windows Recovery Environment. This will allow you to continue using the device with a different Microsoft account while you wait for the security information update to take effect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T23:40:37.49+00:00

    You need the Microsoft account that you used to set up your Windows computer to receive verification text messages. You can then set up your Yahoo account as an alias for your Microsoft account to receive your daily mail and text messages.

    You can no longer choose to receive a voice message instead of a text to a phone number.

    Forgotten your Microsoft account username

    Reset a forgotten Microsoft account password

    How to add an email alias to your Microsoft account

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.