Microsoft Family Cannot be reached

jk 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T14:33:08.65+00:00

Monday this problem occured on my daugthers laptop running Windows 11 Home. She's limited to only have acces from 6:30 to 19:00 every day. Monday when she used the laptop in school, it was just closed, said it would only open again at 6:30. As if there was some date/time issue.

Now, in my admin account on her laptop, under Settings -> Accounts -> Family there's a yellow box: "Microsoft Family Safety cannot be reached right now".

I have fixed her computer by deleting her account from her laptop and adding her back again, but now no family safety features is in place on her account. It simply still says Microsoft Family Security is not available.

Now, I have just tried on my Windows 11 Home workstation, which has never had a user with family safety added before, to see if I could add her as a user with family safety features in place there.

But before even adding her at all- in setting -> Accounts -> Family it says the same thing. "Microsoft Family Security cannot be reached right now"

Is Microsoft Family Security just gone down completely? Is this a know bug?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. jk 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-18T10:01:15.46+00:00

    It's completely fine on the the Family Safety website. I can login, my daugthers account is perfectly included, her settings is in place.

    There's red message though: "<child's name> needs to sign in again on Windows (<computer name>) to verify their account." - I guess because her account was removed.

    Now, focusing on my work station first as this is less complicated than my daughers laptop:

    I tried your step, it didn't fix it. My workstation is a fresh install after format, it's less than 1 week old, everything is updated. Everything time related is set up correctly (defaults), but i triggered a manual sync anyway of time anyways. I ran the command you provided sucessfully and rebooted, the yellow box "Cannot connect to family safety" persists.

    Mind you, this in my workstation, fresh install, everything updated, and I have not yet done anything Family Security related on the computer, other than navigating to Settings -> Account -> Family to see if I could ass my daughter - I didn't even try because I saw the yellow box.

    So it definitely seems to be a connection problem.I run a very new Netgear Orbi Wifi 7 mesh network. Only cusom setting is that I have set op the DNS-servers fom 1.0.0.1 : https://one.one.one.one/family/

    I did try though to use the hotspot of my mobile phone's 5G network, and it didn't change the yellow boc.

    I highly doubt the problem is local.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. jk 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-18T10:00:52.9066667+00:00

    <deleted this message as I somehow got the same message posted twice>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Xavier-D 13,400 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-18T02:01:04+00:00

    Hello jk

    Because this occurs on two separate Windows 11 computers, including one that was not previously configured for Family Safety, here what you can do:

    First, please sign in to the Microsoft Family Safety website using the organizer account. Does the family group and your daughter’s account display correctly there?

    Also, because the laptop behaved as though the permitted time had started on the wrong day or at the wrong time, check Settings > Time & language > Date & time on both computers. Make sure Set time automatically, Set time zone automatically, and Sync now are working. An incorrect time zone can cause Family Safety activity to be recorded under a different day.

    Next, run Microsoft’s Family Safety refresh task on each affected computer:

    1. Press Windows + R, enter cmd, and select OK.
    2. Run schtasks /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefreshTask".
    3. Restart the computer and check Settings > Accounts > Family again.

    Please let me know whether the family group is accessible through the Family Safety website, as that will help distinguish a Windows connection problem from an account-side problem.

    Feel free reply back to this post if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.