Need New Outlook Back

Christine Wilson 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T12:38:29.2066667+00:00

I've been using New Outlook for several months now. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night, but this morning, when I opened Outlook on my Mac, it's the "Legacy" version. When I click the toggle button to turn it off, I get a message about new & exciting things in New Outlook, it closes, then reopens still in Legacy. My folders are all there, but NONE OF MY EMAILS from my Comcast/Xfinity email address are there! NONE. How do I get back to "New Outlook" and my Comcast emails?

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hornblower409 15,825 Reputation points
    2026-09-18T09:18:51.3566667+00:00

    @Christine Wilson said

    Outlook on my Mac, it's the "Legacy" version. When I click the toggle button to turn it off, I get a message about new & exciting things in New Outlook, it closes, then reopens still in Legacy.

    Sounds like you were upgraded to Outlook for Mac 16.113 overnight and there is a bug in that version that causes the "Can not switch out of Legacy mode" problem.

    See the Answer by "Hornblower409 Sep 17, 2026" in
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/6006979/free-outlook-not-365

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Chloe-V 13,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-17T23:59:08.4566667+00:00

    Hi @Christine Wilson

    I’m sorry you’re dealing with this, especially since your Comcast/Xfinity emails suddenly appear to be missing.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas only.

    New Outlook and Legacy Outlook for Mac keep separate account configurations, so an account added in New Outlook may not automatically appear in Legacy Outlook. Please first sign in to Xfinity Email through your browser and confirm that your messages are still available there. Also, please avoid removing the Comcast account or deleting your Outlook profile for now.

    Then, in Outlook, select Help > Check for Updates and install any available updates. Restart your Mac, reopen Outlook, and turn off the Legacy Outlook switch again.

    If New Outlook opens but the Comcast account is missing, add it again under Outlook > Settings > Accounts > Add Account. In Xfinity Email, also check Settings > Security and make sure third-party email access is enabled.

    If Outlook still returns to Legacy after updating, please select Help > Contact Support or Help > Feedback > Report a Problem in Outlook for Mac.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.