Surface Pro X Phantom Touches

Jacie Fisk 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T05:46:15.2666667+00:00

I have a Surface Pro X (arm-based) and I have been experiencing phantom touches on the top right corner of my screen. If I flip to vertical, the phantom touch follows to right corner of whatever orientation I have it in. During this issue, whatever mouse I use does not work. However, touch and using the pen will often work.

My device manager (including showing hidden devices) does not show the HID touch screen driver.

My computer is up to date and the diagnostic tools find no issues. The phantom touches do not show up in UEFI.

Is there any way of fixing this issue myself?

edit: If I can just get the driver to reappear to disable touch screen, that’s fine too!

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Vikki-T 10,965 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-17T10:18:02.5866667+00:00

    Hi Jacie Fisk,

    I understand how disruptive this must be, especially when the phantom touches prevent the mouse from working normally and the touchscreen driver is not even available for you to disable.

    One important precaution: please do not uninstall any touch-related device or driver on a Surface Pro X. Microsoft specifically warns that if these drivers are removed from this model, restoring them may require a full system reset.

    Please try the following:

    • Disconnect any dock, charger, USB accessory, or nearby electronic equipment temporarily, then test the Surface in another location. Electronic interference can sometimes cause phantom touches.
    • Open Settings > Windows Update, select Check for updates, and install everything available. Then check Advanced options > Optional updates and install any available Surface updates.
    • Open the Surface app, expand Help & support, and check whether any driver or firmware update is offered.
    • In Device Manager, select Action > Scan for hardware changes, then restart the Surface. Do not uninstall the existing touch, HID, or firmware entries.
    • If the HID-compliant touch screen entry still does not return, back up your important files and consider resetting the Surface using Microsoft’s recovery options.

    Unfortunately, the touchscreen cannot be disabled through Device Manager while the HID-compliant touch screen entry is missing. Also, disabling touch normally disables related touch accessories, including the Surface Pen and Windows touch keyboard.

    If the phantom touches continue after Windows and Surface updates, and especially after a reset or recovery, Microsoft’s guidance is to submit a service order so the touchscreen and digitizer can be inspected.

    Official guidance:

    Fix touch issues on a Surface touchscreen

    Download drivers and firmware for Surface Pro

    Download a Surface recovery image

    I hope the update or recovery process restores the missing touch component and stops the phantom input without requiring hardware service. Thank you so much for your understanding. 


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.