Rewards region change

uday rowthu 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T05:36:35.92+00:00

I permanently moved from the United States to India around 50 days ago, and ever since then I have been unable to make purchases on my Xbox account because of a region error.

During these 50 days, I have contacted Microsoft and Xbox Support many times and spoken with numerous agents, but unfortunately the issue is still unresolved. I want to clearly mention that I am currently physically located in India and I am NOT using any VPN, proxy, or other method to change or hide my location.

During the troubleshooting process, different support agents gave me different instructions regarding my account region. At one point, an agent advised changing my location back to the USA to see if I could access or play my games. My account/location was therefore switched between the USA and India during troubleshooting based on instructions from Microsoft support agents. These region changes were not an attempt by me to bypass Microsoft's regional restrictions—they were performed as part of the troubleshooting process recommended by your support team.

Eventually, I was informed that my Microsoft Rewards account may still be associated with the USA and that this could be contributing to the region mismatch. I was then directed to Microsoft Rewards Support. However, I have repeatedly received responses advising me not to use a VPN and to use the account in the correct region. I am already doing exactly that.

I live in India now, I am accessing my account from India, and I simply want my Microsoft account, Xbox services, and Microsoft Rewards region to correctly recognize India as my current country. I do not want to access U.S. Rewards or take advantage of U.S.-specific benefits. I am even willing to forfeit any remaining U.S. Rewards points if that is necessary to resolve the problem.

It has now been approximately 50 days, and despite contacting multiple support agents and following the troubleshooting instructions provided to me, I still cannot make purchases normally.

Please review the history of my account and the previous support interactions. I kindly request that this case be manually reviewed and that my Microsoft Rewards region be corrected from the USA to India, or that any remaining U.S. region association causing the mismatch be removed.

I would greatly appreciate a proper investigation rather than another generic response regarding VPN usage, as I am not using a VPN and have already followed the troubleshooting instructions provided by Microsoft Support.

Bing | Microsoft Rewards
Bing | Microsoft Rewards

A program that grants points for using Bing search, which users can redeem for gift cards, sweepstakes entries, or charitable donations.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Vikki-T 11,235 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-17T10:07:47.76+00:00

    Hello uday rowthu,

    I understand how frustrating this must be after nearly 50 days, especially when you have already contacted several support teams and changed the region settings based on the instructions you received.

    Since you have permanently moved to India and are accessing the account there without a VPN or proxy, repeatedly changing the region again may make the situation more complicated. Microsoft also notes that an account’s country or region may not be changeable if it was changed within the last three months.

    It is also important to separate the two issues here. The inability to make Xbox purchases could involve the Microsoft account region, Xbox or Microsoft Store location, billing address, or payment method. The Rewards region mismatch may be related, but it should not be assumed to be the direct cause without an account-level review.

    Please check that all the following are currently set to India:

    • The country or region on your Microsoft account
    • The location on the Xbox console or device
    • The Microsoft Store region
    • The billing address and country of the payment method

    You can review Microsoft’s official region guidance here: Change your country or region in Microsoft Store

    Could you also share the exact error message or error code shown when the purchase fails, and confirm whether the purchase is being attempted from an Xbox console, Xbox.com, or Microsoft Store? Please do not post any payment details or support case numbers publicly.

    Because you have already completed the standard troubleshooting, the appropriate next step is to contact Microsoft Rewards Support using the affected account. In the request, include your current country of residence, the exact error, and the relevant details from your previous interactions.

    Since you have already contacted Microsoft and Xbox Support several times, if you have an existing ticket or case number, please contact Support again and provide it to the agent at the beginning of the conversation. This should allow the agent to review the previous case history and troubleshooting notes, so you do not have to explain the entire situation repeatedly. You can also ask whether the existing case can be reviewed or escalated, given that the issue remains unresolved.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors, including external Microsoft employees, cannot access account records, review previous support cases, remove a regional association, or manually change the Rewards region from the back end. Thank you so much for your understanding.   


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.