Media Player Settings - Transfer to New PC

Shack 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T05:09:23.2+00:00

Where / what folder holds the Windows Media Player (WMP) settings in Windows 10?

Can this file/folder be copied to new Windows 11 PC to transfer my old WMP settings to my new computer?

By WMP settings, I mean these things (i.e. album art, star ratings, genre labels and organization, etc.)

I have already transferred my music files from the old to the new. But all the edits I've made over the years are gone.

I would like to recover the above-named edits/settings, if able. It's over 400 albums and over 5200 songs.

It took years to do star ratings and organize into edited genres, etc. for all of this music.

Appreciate any help, - Shack

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T05:43:23.4266667+00:00

    Open File Explorer.

    Paste this into the Address Bar and press Enter.

    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player

    The resulting Media Player folder contains all your user settings for star ratings, genre labels and organization... etc.

    Copy that Media Player folder out onto a USB drive.

    Then on your PC, copy that Media Player folder into the exact same location.

    That process should copy over all your Windows Media Player user data to the new PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.