How to fix a black screen

Carissa Caskey 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T01:05:53.67+00:00
  • I was just on my laptop when it accidentally slipped off my bed and hit the ground, but when I picked it up again, the screen was frozen. No cursor; nothing would move or work.
  • I tried to turn it off, but it still wouldn't work until the 3rd time, and then it powered off. But when I tried to turn it back on, it was just a black screen.
  • I had my laptop plugged in this entire time, so I wouldn't think it would be dead.

What could be the issue? And how do I fix it?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. EmilyS726 269K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-17T01:44:11.1233333+00:00

    Since this happened right after the laptop fell, I would suspect a hardware issue rather than Windows.

    First, unplug the charger and any USB devices, then hold the power button down for about 20–30 seconds. Plug the charger back in and try turning it on again.

    When you turn it on, do you see any power light, keyboard light, or hear the fan running?

    If the laptop seems to turn on but the screen stays black, try connecting it to a TV or external monitor with HDMI. If you get a picture there, the drop may have damaged or loosened the laptop screen/display cable.

    If you get no picture on either the laptop screen or an external monitor, something internal such as the RAM may have been knocked loose, or there could be motherboard damage from the fall.

    I would suggest you take it to local repair place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.