Not able to get new mail on one Hotmail account in Outlook.

p eld 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T20:38:24.8566667+00:00

I use one email for my business issues and can get things sent to me that I signed up for a long time ago. However, I am unable to get any emails, or codes, sent to my business email now. I now have to use my personal email to sign up for something and get a code if I need one. Both accounts are connected in the new Outlook I am using. I don't think I had the problem with the old Outlook we used. No new messages download to the business one, but junk email does! Things I signed up for using business email in old Outlook now downloads to my personal one, which I do not mind. If I can get junk email in my business account, why can't I get codes or anything else I need?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-16T20:38:40.2866667+00:00

    Since junk mail is still arriving in the business Hotmail account, the account is receiving mail. The most likely causes are filtering, forwarding, rules, or account-specific settings affecting wanted messages.

    Try these checks in Outlook.com for the business account:

    1. Check the Other tab, not just Focused.
    2. Check Junk Email and mark any valid message as not junk.
    3. Check message sorting: Filter > Sort > Date.
    4. Check whether email forwarding is enabled.
    5. Check whether any mail rules are moving, deleting, or redirecting incoming mail.
    6. Check the blocked senders list under Junk Email settings.

    Because messages that were previously associated with the business address now appear in the personal account, pay special attention to forwarding and rules on the business account.

    If the business account password was changed recently, update the sign-in for that account in new Outlook:

    1. Select the email account name.
    2. When prompted to sign in, select Continue.
    3. Enter the current password.

    If the account is Outlook.com and mail still does not arrive after checking rules and forwarding, also verify:

    • The mailbox storage is not full. If Microsoft cloud storage is full, Outlook.com cannot send or receive email.
    • The account is not temporarily blocked because of unusual sign-in activity.

    A good isolation step is to sign in directly to Outlook.com with the business account and send a test message to it from another account. If the message does not appear there either, the issue is with the account settings rather than new Outlook.

    If no rule, forwarding, junk, or blocked sender issue is found, use Outlook.com support from the Help menu or the Outlook.com Community.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Thomas4-N 22,295 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-18T07:37:21.75+00:00

    Hello p eld,

    Since the verification email did arrive, that confirms the Hotmail account is still able to receive at least some new messages.

    For now, I would wait and see whether the other expected messages arrive. If they still do not, please let us know whether the problem affects all incoming mail or only certain companies or websites.

    For one message that definitely fails to arrive, it would also help to know whether the sender gets any delivery failure or bounce message. That should give us a much clearer direction before trying more settings.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.